ONI

A little history

Dunbar

I've recently had the privilege of freed up personal time, and while I have been avoiding clans like the plague, i got called on a favor I owe. I will be making myself free for about a week to answer any historical questions (as best I can remember them. Ill admit when I cant--as it has been ten years). It isn't my place to "set the record straight" and so I will only answer what is asked of me. Its far easier for me to answer questions via discord-- where I am more available. My Discord is Archeota#9675, and i'll be your historian for this week until Sunday. After that, im heading back to business. 

Off limits questions: (you can ask but im not promising any answers)

-Personal current life, opinions on certain people currently (though Ill admit past ones), and opinions on current clan shenanigans. Im here to give history as I recall it for a favor. To that end, ask away (on discord, if you would). 

(Spoilers: If /anybody/ takes credit for everything its likely bullshit. If they have to go around telling everybody they were original and did everything its likely bullshit too. This party has a lot of forgotten ladies and gents who were real fun to play with and did a lot of hard work at the time that they didnt need to do for other people to have fun. Even my place and importance in this mess has been exagerated. My 'job' could be best described as "An administrative assistant who taped things so theyd stay working". A lot of us hobgoblins kept the whole apparatus running. Shout out to jenkins and his mad website work.) 

Found yourself in a funny place! Welcome to the party, I'm sure someones got something good to ask. As for me, maybe any recollection of what was done with Spartans and ODSTs in the day.

Its every other day someone approaches us with some sick sense of delusion, or manipulative effort to become a Spartan here based on training they did years ago. What kind of incite can you provide to that, what was actually done where members felt so validated enough to continue, and of course not everyone is in the same page there either with apparently other groups starting around the same time, but no digital footprint or network to know each other existed.

18 hours ago, Anna Richards said:

So are you the founder of Navcom or is Joshua O29 the founder? 

An uncomplicated question: 

Neither. 

But a complicated answer:

Navcom comes from several clans: 

105th ODST Division: Me (eventually the ODSTs)

The True Spartans: Kurt (Eventually the SIIIs but theyd find a rebirth and reorganization under Lasky, or mitch, and prior work under willy cypress (or James)

Fleetcom(yes, made before and decommissioned) under paul and alyssa, which would eventually become our Navy

Jenkins: our website guru. 

Joshua (And many many others from our prior Spartan Project/Navapecwar/Orion project) origins. 

He, and I, are one of about 8 (founders) as Navcom was created to unify our rapidly fracturing community in a way pure Spartans couldnt as an all encompassing UNSC group. While i organized the central highcom group, it was ultimately that highcom that founded it. 

Its purpose was to provide numerous branches with flexible leadership so that all UNSC groups could co operate under a flexible group of UNSC affiliates. 

There never was supposed to be the disunity there is now. It was always supposed to simply be one UNSC with flexibility in case there were name duplicates. 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

An uncomplicated question: 

Neither. 

But a complicated answer:

Navcom comes from several clans: 

105th ODST Division: Me (eventually the ODSTs)

The True Spartans: Kurt (Eventually the SIIIs but theyd find a rebirth and reorganization under Lasky, or mitch, and prior work under willy cypress (or James)

Fleetcom(yes, made before and decommissioned) under paul and alyssa, which would eventually become our Navy

Jenkins: our website guru. 

Joshua (And many many others from our prior Spartan Project/Navapecwar/Orion project) origins. 

He, and I, are one of about 8 (founders) as Navcom was created to unify our rapidly fracturing community in a way pure Spartans couldnt as an all encompassing UNSC group. While i organized the central highcom group, it was ultimately that highcom that founded it. 

Its purpose was to provide numerous branches with flexible leadership so that all UNSC groups could co operate under a flexible group of UNSC affiliates. 

There never was supposed to be the disunity there is now. It was always supposed to simply be one UNSC with flexibility in case there were name duplicates. 

Our group both grew and declined numerous times with these key highcom positions changing. By the time i stepped out of a position of decision making we had grown to five hundred members and the main highcom group could replace its own staff as it needed. It was supposed to be self sufficient with priority given to our much newer player base. Many amazing leaders added to the program. A couple panther guys, rorschache, and many others. Literally too large a list. 

Joshua was a part, but only a small part, same as me. Id argue that Jenkins website work really allowed us to get our message out there. I acted as a long time as a vetoing member of highcom, but was no longer as of...i think 2013. Dont quote me on that date. 

As a final note on our earlier topic 

Halo 2:

Fire Team Charlie (eventually the 105th)

Joshuas Spartans (I saw them in mm so i know they existed at this point)

Halo 3:

105th ODST Division

Orion Project

True Spartans

Joshua's Spartans (NSW as a name did not exist) 

Halo Reach: 

Joshuas Spartans Combine with the Spartan Project, which was Orion. 

Kurts True Spartans become SIIIs abd combine with us. We become Navapecwar. 

Willycypress becomes james. He and kurt have a falling out. 

Paul, myself, and joshua have a falling out. Three groups now exist. 

Theyre all combined into Navcom

This is all before that war with the UUF

Halo 4:

NSW leaves Navcom later.

I quit community. My knowledge of stuff ends here. 

Like I said. If anybody is looking for a drama free golden age, they might be searching a while. It is interesting that Joshua managed to write about eight other people out of history. Thats a shame. 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:56 AM, Shawn4Japan said:

Found yourself in a funny place! Welcome to the party, I'm sure someones got something good to ask. As for me, maybe any recollection of what was done with Spartans and ODSTs in the day.

Its every other day someone approaches us with some sick sense of delusion, or manipulative effort to become a Spartan here based on training they did years ago. What kind of incite can you provide to that, what was actually done where members felt so validated enough to continue, and of course not everyone is in the same page there either with apparently other groups starting around the same time, but no digital footprint or network to know each other existed.

Ah. Subject of the hour. 

A lot of history erasing was done, and washed over with golden age crap. 

Yknow what it took to be a Spartan when we were only spartans? 

A name. A name change and activity. No shit, some of us had like...nilch k/d.

Victor and Javier are responsible for any level of training or standard in that department. People might say it was exclusive, but earlier it only became exclusive in that you

1. Were buddies with somebody

2. You changed your name and could fit in that clique.

It was incredibly mythologized by people who, frankly, are of little significance other than that they had a name and spent forever trying to be pals with somebody. Some good guys came out of it, but SII pretty much was a colorful piece of bling to inflate an ego. Kind of the equivalent of a roman praetorian guard. It could be a whole psychological paper on how enough bullshit and self promotion creates a myth. 

Far as i could tell, the SIVs really were the ones who paved the way on competitive ground. SIIIs, ODSTs, Marines, and those guys were the real champions. They were the ones where reliability wasnt just like..  lip service and gift card legend.

Apologies if that is dissapointing. 

As for good training, ive always found inter branch competition to be very rewarding and it builds good team work. Less raids, more high ground ctf and one bomb. Youll get quality that way. 

Clarification:

Victor = Anarchyz11

Other notable people? 

Demarco was a good guy. I remember him even with nearly a decade gone. McMillan put in some good work. The panther people did a lot of good stuff once they converted into the lore autism that kind of defines us. (I love myself some halo lore). Really there are like...tons of people who really put in work. I wish i could remember them all. 

Tl;dr navcom was a band aid for old grudges. It survived making new enemies and uniting to beat them. If history has any lesson though, its that you can only fight other people so long with your own house not in order. The current UNSC clans can (almost) all trace their lineage back to a fracture from that unification attempt. Elitism, as a policy of exclusion, is good short term in creating a culture--but falls flat in comparison to bringing others to your level, as apposed to shutting them down. Its an interesting case study, if anything. 

I was most surprised to see the selling of gamertags gain popularity. That aspect of current culture is actually kind of dissapointing. The best thing you can do as a clan is just to focus inwards first and make sure your house is in order with the kind of culture that can allow retention and growth. You guys seem to be doing well. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.