ONI

UNSC Razor, Rumored Animosity and Discourse

Shawn4Japan

I could not really think of a title so sorry if this offends some of you with hearts on their sleeves.

The other day in a continued conversation over an issue in ONI over where new recruits are going and how are they being handled we've identified a simple problem that we simply don't have an answer for.

New Recruits that join the website that do not have sponsors/recruiters become lost. There is no one responsible for them because they joined finding our website on any platform we are recruiting on. The UNSC Razor being the biggest should take care of this problem? And so the weeks long conversations in Naval Command elapsed into other issues that people have a problem confronting others in, at the end of the day this is a clan and we are all here to have fun so why would anyone not want to make the experience better by addressing the problems they see.

Yesterday I decided to simply ask, what the fuck is the problem with the UNSC Razor in their chat. To one person who didn't even know my rank, status or anything in the clan. The problem was in it itself, in just one of the first few response.

Anyway I'll quote and respond to them since they don't want their chat filled which I really want to outright remove. Since any basic conversation should be shared with ONI if they want to be more well received to the rest of ONI.

Hey Shawn, I happened to see a post in the trainings chat that was deleted shortly afterwards. I just wanted to clarify that the Razor ship isn’t just sticking to itself. That’s not what we intended by the internal that was hosted, or any other events that we host. We have tried to tag multiple ships in the past and have tagged people too to no avail, and we’re not given any further instructions on how to communicate with other ships, as to how to exactly we are suppose to be reaching out to them. No disrespect at all by this message, I just wanted to clarify is all. Thanks.

@Fire 2the Flame I shared unprofessionally or maybe it was ADM S Osman that did. Not every ship has the same purpose, not every team is kind of open to this whole coming together for customs idea especially from people they just simply do not know. The thing about trying to better relations between people and units is to keep on trying and provide a more open concept to inviting people to play with you or attend events. We play on different Halo's and have people in sects of ONI with different interests entirely because we've made ONI fairly large, this community is trying to cover all bases on Halo (all games) and so that makes us a larger group of many moving pieces. The problem sometimes is that if you @Pillar of Autumn II the ship could be focused on Garry's Mod, if you @Song of the East the ship could have no one onboard, if you @Circumference this ship is solely a 4v4 team and not really interested in much else outside of that.

It becomes complicated but we're wanting to simplify this better because the Razor is too big for its own ship and its clear that because of its size and progress the accomplishments of you and everyone else dwarfs the other ships and members.

I get this and I did not appreciate calling me out the way you or anyone did. It’s done now tho. I guess what I had said to you earlier, I meant how would you like us to get a hold of other ships or members of this clan? Maybe not solely for Reach on Mcc, but just  in general. We tagged the ships we had tagged in the past, because we wanted to include others but was given no way to do so.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to like humiliate you or anything I just prefer these conversations kind of openly so people can chime in, see more perspectives kind of build on that and any other angles to it too. Right, so the ways I was thinking was to actually post events for people to sign up too in the events category that more than your unit can see. I mean it only makes sense that if I wanted to do something with more people than my unit I would post it in an open channel for more. I deleted the initial schedule because of its not posted in the channels that may be, than it’s clearly not for everyone.

I'm genuinely happy that @Fire 2the Flame messaged me at all, this in itself should be reward able and commendable to what we're looking for instead of a bunch of weird yesmen or kids that don't talk. Literally not talking about these problems is only hurting us. Its actually ridiculous to what lengths I've had to go with just in our higher command chats over confronting a problem.

So what does this mean for the UNSC Razor?
If you want to be inclusive you need to post your schedule in channels everyone else can see, you need to give a chance for people to participate and especially releive the stress from our command logistical where you can. It should be about helping others, not yourself and your ship.

THE MOST DANGEROUS PHRASE IN THE LANGUAGE IS "WE'VE ALWAYS DONE IT THIS WAY"
And I am finding more and more people as we approach changes we want to make and create better plans around systems, ranks and schedules that people are not willing to unlearn, relearn, undo and redo. It is simply the pinnacle to becoming a better person and its absent in most of our ranks.

Next quote from @REK Burnz

I know I'm just a little guy in these talks, but I think it's hard to be in contact with a group (ship in this case) that doesnt share the same interests as us. We like Halo MCC. We all play it. The other ships dont play MCC. Now if they did, we would be more than willing to game with them. We aren't trying to build a wall, the wall was built before we said anything. Even with you Shawn, you're the only high command that I ever see on MCC. (Though I dont have many others added) That's where I believe the disconnect is. That's why Halo Infinite is so important, because it's to unite us more because we would all be playing the same game. Giving us more chances to game together.

Osman is our leader, but I have never seen her type in these chats and such. In fact, I've only sent one message to her which I'm sure got lost. I dont blame her for it either. I understand that it's hard running ONI and such.

I apologize for the walls of text. I just got out of college comp.  So I'm still in the writing mindset.

Yes this is what I wanted to read, I probably won’t get to most before falling asleep but there is good stuff here already. You understand the problem from your perspective (something that some of us just don’t understand.)

Being split between games and interests is bad, we see this with a smaller population as at our height we expanded out “system” to accommodate 2,000 members logistically we only ever reached half as a community though and it’ll make an interesting thread discussing member count and allocation in our history.

I’ve been playing with the UNSC Port Stanley and the Kilo-5 unit, and they don’t even know the UNSC Razor at all like one bit. They only know what they can see from the operational reports. But they don’t share the same problems the Razor does simply because they are not that big (14 people) 13 really because I’m about to discharge thegodkm; it’s a competitive driven ship of members that just play matchmaking together (something that I personally believe isn’t really reportworthy because it’s like rewarding a fish for swimming) but recently I’ve been scheduling matches for them and with them. Why is that? Because I'm actually invited by them whereas the UNSC Razor and most of you do not invite me. Its a very weird paradox that I can only gleam to think its from people not liking me or how I play.

In this action it’s pretty clear the divisive wall put between ships, the sea of clans raiding is a missed opportunity as I see more custom browser games in AAR’s while with Port Stanley we have matches scheduled with Navcom, Valor and Resilience all Halo: Reach clans. Doing matches with 17th Fleet and other clans overall and not every After Action Report is made but does that take away from the clan? No. They know and have fun just being, just playing and are not overburden in trying to rank up.

So yes the wall was built there purposefully as an intelligence thing to prevent leaks but it’s clearly a problem now that we want to be a more inclusive community, and by that I don’t mean diversity or liberal agenda’s but the idea of hosting events and opening doors to incoming members and traffic of information. Knowledge sharing and helping players get better at the game faster.

When it comes to leadership, if you don’t see it we’re asking you to step up to it Burnz. I mean I turned 25 this month, Dale is 35, Dvorak just had a baby she’s a literal mom, Anna is full time in a $80k salary job, Noah is 27. Its incomprehensible that people point up to say we're not doing enough instead of taking up the roles that are missing. Its painful to see and hear it and exhausting, I mean even in command from Harry Cramb to say something and not just do it.

For better or for worse if you don’t get to meet them before they peace out it’s not their fault, but most importantly they know enough to be ingrained in your careers than up and leave knowing time is short.

Halo Infinite will definitely make it easier but we’re still probably keeping a contingent on MCC and H5G/

I understand that. I have school and a part time job aswell. We all have our schedules. Our own personal lives. I like the idea of knowing veterans players and learn from them, especially learning how to become a better person not only in game, but in life aswell. We have lots to learn from each other, that's life.

I expressed my thoughts on Osman because you asked for them. Otherwise I would have kept them to myself, as most other people here aswell. But that's ok, we all have opinions on one another.

I see that you said you have a comp focused ship, so why do we have a Navy in our ship if you have a ship focused on that? I'd say if you want, and if Harry wants, take some of the Navy and implement them into your ship. Aswell as give us your more roleplay focused players.

I believe that transferring members between ships that have different focuses will improve the time for everyone. And we would be helping with each others recruitment going into Infinite.

From here our conversation dissipates into smaller messages but as Harry has also shared.

The plan will be anyway, eventually before infinite comes out to consolidate you all into 1 branch anyway. We don't think that splitting the ranking system does any good if we have the same expectations from an E3-O1, the branches really just added fun achievements or other requirements that are not important to our group overall. It is sad to see the interest is gone but it will just make it more memorable to come back too.

from discussions I have had with @Shawn4Japan its a possibility and more likely or not that ships wont be apart of Infinite and like shawn said we will do teams of people. Which is why merging you guys in to one branch may help with this so there is not an identity crisis as alot of you are passionate about your specific branches.

But its still under discussion from what i understood as there are still details needing to be worked out.

This creates rumors @Harry Cramb its important not to share so much incompletely information and half plans because people take this and run with it, looking to fill in the other half and become misinformed on the entire subject. I know its exciting and you want to "prepare your men" but you should probably just refer to the above MOST DANGEROUS PHRASE.

IN fact the most important thing is for the UNSC Razor to work outside of itself and fulfill bigger roles for the clan and not just for itself.

I believe the ships are a great idea. They created organization and unity. It also creates a personal pride for each ship. A drive for more competitiveness between ships. Which would be more beneficial in promoting communication and unity between the ships.

Idk just speaking my mind. If yall dont agree, that's ok.

The ships are great, I never said I wanted ships to go away. My ship the UNSC Song of the East did and the UNSC Tokyo Rules might be next to go away too because what we want to do doesn't need ships. Ships itself is just a nomenclature. We want a more direct line of communication to teams we find most useful for what we do on an given day. People joined and there should be a team for just that, the ship system is equivalent to platoons really more so than company. But other people look at it as entire divisions. The personal pride for your ship over ONI is what creates the divisiveness you see from Command and your ship. Because most of the members on Razor don't know anyone above Harry and pride themselves, building an ego to pushes on egos above.

The ship system is thought out but it was really meant for more players and it has its own cons. If you think about how ONI’s progressed over the years members joined the best ship and ignored everything else. Also the competition made infighting and turned the focus away from ONI being one singular body. In ONI's operational history the most ships we had was around 12. This included nearly 8 prowlers and 4 main ships. Which if anyone recalled constantly fought over each other with members exodusing to other ships back and forth transferring every week. Ships only work well as an individual clan or small teams oriented because its proven that they put themselves first before the actual clan altogether something that is instilled from inception.

Expanding on this, to be visual it’s like Razor is a arm, Circumference is another arm, and two other ships are our legs and we’re uncoordinated/. But we are uncoordinated too because the Razor is simply too big. The rest of the prowler fleet ships don't exceed 16 players. The ships relatively small and it is ADM S Osman's fault for allowing that but no one seems to really be pointing fingers and instead just letting it happen. The other navy ship I had to create from a bunch of small teams in ONI for a competitive focus but also do raids, it is such a blessing to have a small team of players with a strong leadership that are able to perform.

I see that. The ego is from pride. But that's not a bad thing to have. I think you should still call them ships. Maybe reduce the size. I really like fireteams. It's easy access to a higher up.

Or you could call them something lore accurate. Idk much about halo lore.

We try to invite other ships, it's hard when they arent playing the same game. The recruits being left out should be put on the recruiter, not the commanding officer. It's not his responsibility to make everyone join. He should hold the events- let them be known- and keep a running idea on whose not showing up.

I'm not in my comp mindset anymore so most of what I say is scrambled lol

See no one is recruiting half of the people that join the server and the website randomly. The beginning of the issue this year was that since the start of COVID we've had randoms joining and not going anywhere because they don't know anyone.

So they don't know who to be sponsored by, or how to be recruited just send an application in and wait.

LCDR H Cramb — Yesterday at 4:07 PM
right now for these guys no one is recruiting because i am trying to focus on maintaining what we have. The only reason we should be recruiting is to refill fireteams of members that have left

This only reinforces the problem to me but no one is showing me a different perspective where that is beneficial. I want to see it, trust.

This next quote is from @Harry Cramb

I mean again ive said to the lads during the season people like maple, blue, chill ect. Have been doing more than myself which is why they have been put forward for OCS. But as i have said and again plenty of the guys here that we are doing stuff its just things we dont need to be seen for but I still do believe if the higher ups are seen at the forefront doing what they say they are doing we wouldnt get this issue.

But we and the higher ups have alot of things going on IRL like others. But i think this is all the more reason to get more junior officers @Shawn4Japan.

I was chatting to blueteam about Arma and he said the nice thing is the higher ups are present and if you are wondering why they are having a more active discord that will be a main reason. Like you said to me we must lead by example.

If we need people stepping up to areas we should be advertising what we need. Not expecting people to figure it out. I believe this is how you got @Canadian Taco5 to help you with the discord/website. We have the talent, we just cant expect them to guess or assume positions are there to walk up into.  If i recall correctly to a thread about positions that are around but vacant as well...

https://www.semper-vigilans.org/forums/topic/1067-title-of-authority/?tab=comments#comment-2553

I had to dive deep to find this  and even then this would be nice to see so maybe someone can say "hey i want to be in that position". Right now I have people saying to me if all this "politics" is what being an officer is about i dont want to be one.

Anyway my main point. People feel like they are doing more because they dont see significant changes or activity from higher ups and we can tell them continuously that they have jobs/lives ect. But so do my enlisted alot of my guys are same age as me or older and i think thats why they get frustrated about seeing a lack of leadership from higher ups.

Its bewildering that you are in the loop and still without the consecration to just do it. I know to get junior officers? I read your message as posturing in front of your unit. I responded again with

The requirements are arbitrary for most of those; there is also a full page of positions open too
https://www.semper-vigilans.org/organization/positions/

This page has requirements, but you ever think of how someone gets promoted to do something in an all voluntary online gaming community? I think there are many of you who don't read what I said in the #community-faq chat and forget that exceptions can be made, forget that ranks truly do not matter its what you do for the clan and where you take it that does. No one has ever said no to something? None of you just come up with any answers and its frustrating that instead of doing so, choose the latter to point at others who are my peers.

Are their opportunities open for Staff Positions?
YES. Of course, we are a growing community with the level of organization seen in living paramilitaries (with no intentions of being an armed, actual one) We have numerous staff positions and could always use help as we scale up rapidly. Many other clans divide command, creating a smaller inner circle with staff teams. This is something we hate to see as denying people opportunity to help is just as dumb as it sounds.

I recently messaged @B1ue Team Sucks about the rosters and information, I joined the Discord and talked to a couple of people but I'm simply too busy to be playing in any operation or doing BCT with them. Arma 3 is a different game, entirely and better for role playing definitively. It encompasses many other elements that make it incomparable to us. @Harry Cramb I honestly do not understand why you bring that up at all, because its not apart of any problem here and simply adds a layer of complexity again drawing out this conversation to this level. If you want officers to drop dead and leave just say that then? @Dale Kilkin @Alexander Reaves @VADM Jean Mawikizi and others have already let us know they're not continuing to any capacity with clans and Halo in general but its also misunderstood what these guys do and who they are.

The misconception here.

Admirals, are not field grade officers. It is not their responsibility to be online everyday in your game. Admirals fulfill a role that is continually worked on as mentors but also directors to their own operations within and abroad from the respective Sections they are in. What such role is the continued success of ONI through the subterfuge of others, another is the pursuit to gather more information to make easier actionable plans in the realtime schedule for when MCC Seasons and games come out (for example ODST Firefight getting Flood) is Intel we couldn't confirm until yesterday from one of our Admirals.

ARMA 3, and the 19th Fleet is one unit. They are built up from team, squad, platoon to Kilo company with a staff HQ and support unit than an air squadron. I can see the roster, it makes sense and is straight forward. That is why you copied it over the ONI rosters we made to follow? ONI is not a singular unit it needs to be and its because of the problems like this one that led to the creation of this thread as to why things don't build on each other as they would in a unit that wants to play the game.

By all means, I know you speak for your ship but if they think they can do better why are you not tapping them up and instead creating this narrative of a glass ceiling preventing them from getting any higher? Its self sabotaging that people feel like they need to wait on whats again an arbitrary requirement to fulfill the jobs of leadership.

Its funny because we do this all the time in the clans we infiltrate. Espionage has taught us how to run a clan, but its obvious whose in it and whose not even though all of our instructions are up on this site. If you fulfill a role that's needed, you will be promoted to the role. This isn't a business, the credentials are all for fun. This is a clan for fun!

Next quotes from @Maple

Cpl. Maple — Yesterday at 8:36 PM
^^^^^^ I second this, even tho I’m usually on the site going through things it still takes me a good 10 minutes to find things sometimes. So I think if there was a discord thread that had information like this it would be great

So why not help lol? I mean there is an ROE and other things that we want to bring to Discord text channels. It just needs to be readable and in one long reformatted message.

@Harry Cramb did you tell him he can't do this? Do we all understand that also, the other document you created for quick links and stuff on most information that is otherwise a need to know should be in a channel. Do people think we are fucking caveman guerilla beating on our chest for no reason instead of trying to do this. Why we wrote up so many documents is to fill in these gaps of knowledge from person to person, and its forgivable when people don't know or can't read but to not share or give access to it isn't.

There are some things you can't help with, we just don't have a way to give you the ability to help with but for some reason most can't figure out a good way to help. I'm not going to blame anyone for that but it shouldn't be put on us to figure something out if you can't either.

I’m pretty sure the bunch in razor are pretty chill with everyone (or almost everyone with a couple of people but meh can't be good with everyone) so I don't know how the idea of us not liking people really came about? It was my understanding that people didn't like us either because we were too "closed off" or "bubbled" or just didn't like us. We attempted to include people and would ping all other ships but no one ever joined in.

Personally, I am dissatisfied with how ONI has been treating Razor and how it feels like we're getting punished because we're doing things. I feel as one of the larger ships/whatever and from the looks of after action and op reports the more active one as well, we shouldn't be getting punished or targetted. You don't take your best olympic gymnast and beat the fucking knees off her, you help and support em.

I think our group takes initiative, like yesterday myself and aero noticed an issue of team killing so we went into a party and threw around some ideas. We can only take initiative if we know there is an issue, if we don't know then we can't help.

So I think of ONI as "The Government", and within the government there is sub-sections because 1 group/person managing all the sub-sections is stupid. That's why within the government there's divisions, so "Transportation", "Health", etc. So if you think of ONI as "Government" and then apply the same thought process, since Razor is so large and active it should be a division. This doesn't mean it's not apart of ONI, it just means that the "government" doesn't have to manage every single person.

Okay so I don't know why you don't put this together in a message and just post it. Like it takes me confronting the ship for this to come out of you. Why?

I've already had constructive conversations around pinging other ship and trying to be inclusive in ways that actually are not. The persistence here is key but also prior knowledge. Again pinging UNSC Vanishing Point who plays Halo 5: Guardians, who does not have any leadership right now is kind of silly. Those members are in a holding pattern and there isn't anything really for them anymore outside the want to find other people to play with on the game they chose as the favorite game.

Someone says they do it once, three times even and they make up there mind on what is otherwise an everchanging situation. That is a ceiling to skill I can't even begin to climb, on the other hand I hear about the continued loss of recruits because there isn't a pipeline and because our biggest unit isn't inviting them, it isn't a welcoming atmosphere and just a survey from other officers asking if they were invited or even messaged by members which is no by the way is enough data to conclude this. It doesn't matter who shows up, its whose invited. The ship and Harry has created an ego to drive peoples ambitions forward but its hurt you and many others because this same ego isn't represented in our core values and just before we had a problem with knowledge transfer (that I'm assuming you think you're in the right for) If people are going to be bitter about officers not showing up because this is completely voluntary its kind of ridiculous no?

I've personally been lenient because this is a clan, not a company where people are paid for there positions and what they do. If you don't like this idea that genuinely being an officer here should mean you are pushing papers and doing etc. etc over you day to day life, meeting people and touching grass ONI might not be for you. We've asked people to resign if they can't meet expectations, its happened but all I see is bitching about the latter instead of looking to fulfill the roles needed. Something I hark Harry for all the time and he gives me the same answer, that many are not motivated. Continuing the issue perpetually until maybe one day we just end ONI and laugh at this.

Do you want Highcom to drop dead overnight? Do you think you can do better because of the nearing 100 raids you've done with ONI vs. @Alexander Reaves 500+ from OG Reach to now? When do we not respect older members for their service in the past. Is it because you can't see what they did that you don't respect them? I mean everyone in command right now has been here for more than 5 years, some 10 years. Legionoftheveil is an Admiral he worked up the ranks from what they meant back in the day but you don't think he's doing enough right? What is enough for you? What is an Admiral supposed to mean if it isn't what we created to be. And one day if you become an Admiral what would you do in a similar position where enlisted don't know you or what you've done anymore?

In an odd way your stance/argument reminds me of the current way America treats its veterans in Wars like the Vietnam war, providing less and less support to veterans affairs and a smaller budget year after year since the beginning of the War in Afghanistan. So how do we honor old members that earned the high ranks and perform the duties set before them?

About your personal dissatisfaction, we are not beating you up. We haven't been shitting on the UNSC Razor. What liberal agenda is it from staff to shit on its prospective unit. The thing that needs to be understood here is that if you are the biggest unit, if you want a bigger role. Than you need to act accordingly?? You'll have to link where HIGHCOM has completely beaten a gymnasts knees out. Because I have 0 recollection of any kind of unsupportive/inadequate help. If we were beating people up you would know, trust.

This quotes an appropriate amount of content and so I'll just kind of dissect more precisely.

I think our group takes initiative, like yesterday myself and aero noticed an issue of team killing so we went into a party and threw around some ideas. We can only take initiative if we know there is an issue, if we don't know then we can't help.

Something about this put everything in perspective that you don't know whats outside of your unit but have you expanded? I mean have you attempted reaching out to other leaders? Do you talk to anyone else or is it a requirement that they talk to you first. If you know Harry is having a hard time or issue why are you not helping him?

So I think of ONI as "The Government", and within the government there is sub-sections because 1 group/person managing all the sub-sections is stupid. That's why within the government there's divisions, so "Transportation", "Health", etc. So if you think of ONI as "Government" and then apply the same thought process, since Razor is so large and active it should be a division. This doesn't mean it's not apart of ONI, it just means that the "government" doesn't have to manage every single person.

If you think of ONI as "The Government" that's where the problem begins. This is your clan, like you are in this clan and responsible for making the experience we can offer. ONI is a role playing group and our staff is essentially the game masters creating the setting, rules and story line to follow and execute. The problem we have is that if the UNSC Razor wants a larger role it needs to help in the larger picture. I asked in the chat if the UNSC Razor is apart or a part of ONI because the things you guys do out of necessity are not the things we are organized to do (and that's okay) But if you guys are going to do that why not communicate it? Why not update our forum threads with that same information. Do you want multiple sub-government agenda's paced differently and conflicting each other? ONI isn't managing every single person, your leadership is. Your following chain of command from you is managing your unit. This intervention comes from a breakdown in communication because your leaders aren't sharing what command wants.

If that doesn't make sense. HIGHCOM, and really just me is interested in knowing why does the Razor do things differently. If you want to take my questions as beating your gymnast knees out before the olympics that is truly not the intention of a conversation. If you live in fear of authority figures I can imagine this is not easy but rest assured, this is just a Halo clan trying to find a way to organize itself better. I decide to spend my time with a unit that doesn't even think about anything other than playing the game and winning Raids. It should all be like that, instead there is a constant pressure to be different or become an officer. It won't mean anything if you are just pulled up like we all join clans for the gratification in progressing where the game cannot offer it.

Unknown to anyone outside, I've actually been at it already for nearly 3 weeks straight me and Harry were arguing in the #navcom Discord chat before we were asked to stop, or agreed that we both don't have an answer to the simple problem in the beginning that is. What to do with new recruits who don't have a recruiter/sponsor?

One common answer is "oh just have some recruiters or designated position" but you see when we did this a long time ago and one ship took all the recruits and the others stagnated. I hope that reading this thread many of you will find it between the words that not only I snuck in a sentence talking about a banana but also we're really looking for answers and if you think you have it than by all means we're happy to receive criticism and suggestions.

Now this is a hot bomb to drop, I'm glad some members came forward and voiced an honest opinion. I hope they can read past what is otherwise a lengthy document. If its not my place to comment I will not as I understand my position and current rapport relative to the Non-commissioned Officers on the UNSC Razor is not a positive impact with more of the newer members especially.

A lot of them who was in the original convos above are taking their time on what they want to say so its not so emotionally driven but i do keep saying that currently you all are looking and it would be worth to say your piece on how you feel on certain topics. 

I’m quickly posting here to save a spot for a later response. I’ve been thinking my responses over and over these last few days, swinging from emotional response to cold calculated. With the wall of texted posted I’ve come to realize I’ll need my laptop to address the points made by those above me. So expect and edit here in the next day or so. 

On 8/28/2021 at 4:50 AM, Shawn4Japan said:

Unknown to anyone outside, I've actually been at it already for nearly 3 weeks straight me and Harry were arguing in the #navcom Discord chat before we were asked to stop, or agreed that we both don't have an answer to the simple problem in the beginning that is. What to do with new recruits who don't have a recruiter/sponsor?

One common answer is "oh just have some recruiters or designated position" but you see when we did this a long time ago and one ship took all the recruits and the others stagnated. I hope that reading this thread many of you will find it between the words that not only I snuck in a sentence talking about a banana but also we're really looking for answers and if you think you have it than by all means we're happy to receive criticism and suggestions.

Two things would lead to a simpler solution for this issue and the structure issue.

1. With the discussion of moving away from the ship model, it would be easier to just be decisive and do it and sort out the structure now rather then later. With that said I'll make another point later about the ship model and its pro/cons later. As to a example structure I attached an example, very rough draft. Of course more squads and teams can be added to better fit the structure but the Command structure needs to be heavily simplified from what it is right now so that its more straightforward as to who is responsible for management of which aspect.

2. With a more simplified and straightforward structure, having NCO's and up be eligible to also be recruiters would ensure that whenever someone joins the discord they can get sorted more effectively and get slotted into the first available squad with a need. Of course the question being how does this get determined so people arent just filling their own squads, well the answer would be numbers, the smallest squad gets priority in where they go. If all the squads have the same numbers then it will be the first available squad. Barring unexpected departures there should not be a greater difference between squads higher than 1.

semp.png

On 9/2/2021 at 1:45 AM, Tsar said:

Two things would lead to a simpler solution for this issue and the structure issue.

1. With the discussion of moving away from the ship model, it would be easier to just be decisive and do it and sort out the structure now rather then later. With that said I'll make another point later about the ship model and its pro/cons later. As to a example structure I attached an example, very rough draft. Of course more squads and teams can be added to better fit the structure but the Command structure needs to be heavily simplified from what it is right now so that its more straightforward as to who is responsible for management of which aspect.

2. With a more simplified and straightforward structure, having NCO's and up be eligible to also be recruiters would ensure that whenever someone joins the discord they can get sorted more effectively and get slotted into the first available squad with a need. Of course the question being how does this get determined so people arent just filling their own squads, well the answer would be numbers, the smallest squad gets priority in where they go. If all the squads have the same numbers then it will be the first available squad. Barring unexpected departures there should not be a greater difference between squads higher than 1.

semp.png

This is good, there is a miscommunication again where Harry's told the ship something entirely different than what we are aiming for.

When I said I want to move away from ships and focus on teams this does not mean that we are abandoning all ships. It simply means we are putting a higher emphasis on small teams and micromanagement. From as is right now, if I want to schedule something with another clan or if we are challenged we don't have a team dedicated to that. We don't have a dedicated team for Halo: Reach Invasion, Halo: Reach Hardcore, Halo: Reach Big Team Battle game types. I want these teams to highlight core games and be able to just '@' one role to notify people and play with others than the condeluded mess of going ship by ship to ask who apart of this unit can play.

We've already kind of figured that RP is not being separated from enlisted. There is just no way around it, if you join ONI and want to be organized and gain the experience we offer you have to agree to role playing. Ranks, status, awards all kind of add to that experience and from there we can create other segments to more unique experiences like Raids, Storms and other custom game types.

I want to say that we already have this structure just no staff, HIGHCOM is at the top, NAVCOM/FLEETCOM and than FLEET SECTORS which ideally would have someone touch base on objectives and encourage leaders.

10 hours ago, Shawn4Japan said:

I want to say that we already have this structure just no staff, HIGHCOM is at the top, NAVCOM/FLEETCOM and than FLEET SECTORS which ideally would have someone touch base on objectives and encourage leaders.

I figured that it existed somewhere, and again the names I used where placeholders of course. I do think a readily available sheet of what the intended new structure will be, would definitely help in clear confusion.

We don't have a dedicated team for Halo: Reach Invasion, Halo: Reach Hardcore, Halo: Reach Big Team Battle game types. I want these teams to highlight core games and be able to just '@' one role to notify people and play with others than the condeluded mess of going ship by ship to ask who apart of this unit can play.

Yeah, having a per game role would definitely be cleaner than how it currently is. Possibly with additional roles like a "game night" role so only those interested are pinged.

This is good, there is a miscommunication again where Harry's told the ship something entirely different than what we are aiming for.

Also this was more so based on my own interpretation, Harry did always mention that ships would still exist in some capacity. For me keeping ships is just more of the same teams with special names, so there was not much of a difference to me. And this is probably something that is my own fault for never clarifying, considering that some of these are things I never really understood even when I was head of the Vanishing Point or when I was on the Meriwether under Elias.

I guess the main takeaway of this part is that the misunderstandings are not Razor specific some I've seen come up years ago by people not even here anymore, this is just the first time its been discussed in a forum setting. I think that's a great thing that we are clearing up those misconceptions now though. Better late than never.

I personally am in favor of the ship model and feel as if there can be certain things done to promote unity among the different vessels ,but if this continues to be detrimental to our Organization change is necessary.

Guest Agent Sniper00

I like the way the ship is set up, but if the ship getting too big, it’s better just making it a bigger ship. change in the future will be necessary to unite other vessels tho. We’re all kinda spread out everywhere so I agree that some sort of change must happen. For the recruit problem, I suggest having the recruiters assigning the recruit to get in contact with any active member in the razor in order for us to help set them up. 

The other part of this recruiting problem is that those with more influence and access to people are unable to recruit too. Essentially this entire system of inviting someone in to join through an already established member does not work and there is no support for recruits and new members in joining the clan.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, Canadian Taco5 said:

I’m quickly posting here to save a spot for a later response. I’ve been thinking my responses over and over these last few days, swinging from emotional response to cold calculated. With the wall of texted posted I’ve come to realize I’ll need my laptop to address the points made by those above me. So expect and edit here in the next day or so. 

So after giving this a lot of thought I’ve decided to keep it simple as I can. I will offer solutions as I’m able or as I see them. This is from the perspective of a line member only and there may be bigger things at play then I can discern.

There is no rumoured animosity and discord in the UNSC Razor. What we do have is pride for our ship, for Officer, our NCO’s, one another and ONI as a whole. So with that in mind, let’s break into some things. 

On 8/28/2021 at 5:50 AM, Shawn4Japan said:

New Recruits that join the website that do not have sponsors/recruiters become lost.

Then we either need more designated recruiters or better site/discord integration. I don’t have an answer for the site/discord integration. And it may honestly be fine and I’m just not paying attention. I’ll gladly do what I can to transfer folks from site to game. The issue that people would rather be playing the game or chatting on discord. I don’t see many people utilizing the website beyond Op reports and aars. Both of which are tied into advancement one way or another.

Yesterday I decided to simply ask, what the fuck is the problem with the UNSC Razor in their chat.

And this is how you build animosity. Ships, as clans in general (and I realize that Razor is a part of ONI’s “body”) are loyal to each other and take criticisms and complaints against it personally, wearing their hearts on their sleeves as you put it. A better approach would have been to start a discussion with how those serving on razor felt we were doing, how we felt we could do better, how we felt about the clan in general and how it could do better. This works a lot better then barging in and being like “what the fucks your problem”. I’ll straight up assure you no productive conversations start that way. 

To one person who didn't even know my rank, status or anything in the clan.

This happens Shawn, especially if they are newer, or haven’t spent the hours some have diving through the website. I’ll touch on this a little bit later though. 

Anyway I'll quote and respond to them since they don't want their chat filled which I really want to outright remove. Since any basic conversation should be shared with ONI if they want to be more well received to the rest of ONI.

Here’s where shits gonna start. I said at the beginning as I drafted this I was gonna keep it simple. Doubt that will continue. A few lines into your post you say :

There is no one responsible for them because they joined finding our website on any platform we are recruiting on. The UNSC Razor being the biggest should take care of this problem?

But then threaten to take away the chat we use to communicate between ourselves as a group, for socializing and planning events.  You really go out of your way here to demonize us for simply existing. 

Not every ship has the same purpose, not every team is kind of open to this whole coming together for customs idea especially from people they just simply do not know. The thing about trying to better relations between people and units is to keep on trying and provide a more open concept to inviting people to play with you or attend events.

And hey this is great, different content for different people, gathered together to support each other. That said if you want us to invite people to our games but then give us shit for pinging the other ships. It’s been clarified in the discord at the time you asked your question as to the platforms of the other ships but I don’t believe it’s listed anywhere accessible or visible. I would have a more accessible page either in the discord or website giving brief overviews of the different ships and what there main focus areas are on. 

It becomes complicated but we're wanting to simplify this better because the Razor is too big for its own ship and its clear that because of its size and progress the accomplishments of you and everyone else dwarfs th other ships and members.

I love this idea! This is positive change that should allow other groups within ONI to come together more easily outside their standard AO’s. Also should our accomplishments be a bad thing, if other ships and members aren’t measuring up shouldn’t that mean they need to do better?

I’ve been playing with the UNSC Port Stanley and the Kilo-5 unit, and they don’t even know the UNSC Razor at all like one bit.

And why is that? Why have we not received invitations from Port Stanley? Why have they not bothered to respond to pings or other prompts? This is a two way street and you can’t blame us without have the same conversation with them.

The personal pride for your ship over ONI is what creates the divisiveness you see from Command and your ship. Because most of the members on Razor don't know anyone above Harry and pride themselves, building an ego to pushes on egos above.

Yes we take pride in our ship, as navy personnel have for centuries. As for not know Command personnel above Harry, where does the fault lie there? Your relatively active Shawn, but what of the rest? I get that everyone has lives outside of this world and that fine, but you can’t say that we don’t know you all if we never see or hear from you. 

Expanding on this, to be visual it’s like Razor is a arm, Circumference is another arm, and two other ships are our legs and we’re uncoordinated/. But we are uncoordinated too because the Razor is simply too big. The rest of the prowler fleet ships don't exceed 16 players. The ships relatively small and it is ADM S Osman's fault for allowing that but no one seems to really be pointing fingers and instead just letting it happen. The other navy ship I had to create from a bunch of small teams in ONI for a competitive focus but also do raids, it is such a blessing to have a small team of players with a strong leadership that are able to perform.

If the ships are not coordinating then there is clearly a high level lack of active leadership. Leadership and should be replaced with those who are able and active to take it on. If Razor is too large for a prowler then mane she needs to be re-allocated as a larger vessel. 

Do you want Highcom to drop dead overnight? Do you think you can do better because of the nearing 100 raids you've done with ONI vs. @Alexander Reaves 500+ from OG Reach to now? When do we not respect older members for their service in the past. Is it because you can't see what they did that you don't respect them? I mean everyone in command right now has been here for more than 5 years, some 10 years. Legionoftheveil is an Admiral he worked up the ranks from what they meant back in the day but you don't think he's doing enough right? What is enough for you? What is an Admiral supposed to mean if it isn't what we created to be. And one day if you become an Admiral what would you do in a similar position where enlisted don't know you or what you've done anymore?

So I’ll make going to hand a olive branch here after my rants. No one should be de-valuing what our senior members and highcom have accomplished. They are the reason this clan and it’s infrastructure exist. If they are working sight unseen then I feel like they should get more of a shout out, at least in some small way so that enlisted know what the are doing. There’s a balance there obviously due to Op Sec, but I feel a little light should get shined on them. That all said you can’t blame enlisted like myself for seeing nothing day to day. It’s just the way perspective works. You can’t see over a wall if your at the bottom, but climb the ladder next to it and you can see the harbour beyond.

So that’s my point by point breakdown. At the end of the day it’s just a point of view and I can probably explain half of this better over voice comms then texts. 

As for the recruits being missed that apply to the site, and get lost, the only solution is to have better over site of the recruiting process. NCO’s or junior officers working as office personnel would probably work, their only job is to direct the recruits to the best ship or unit.

As far as Razor goes, we are a functional ship that’s active almost daily. We do our best to be inclusive of new recruits. If we are too large for use as a prowler maybe it’s time to think bigger. I think breaking the ship up into smaller units would be a unfortunate decision as we have found a solid basis to work on. At the end of the day high comm makes the call and we can just offer our opinions. 

If I had to make a call on this myself I would say let razor continue as a single ship until infinites release. Continue working on ONIs next steps with a new game coming along, and seek our opinions on what drafts of plans have come up with. Razor is the largest pool of man power, with exceptional people who just want to see it and ONI thrive. But I’d personally like to see more updates from high com. 

Also I’m going to bring a question to this last bit.  @ADM S Osman how do you personally feel the UNSC Razor has faired, what has worked well and what hasn’t. I’d like to hear your prospective on where you would like to see us go from here, not just as a ship but a clan. 

Thank you @Shawn4Japanfor starting this topic, and for everyone who posted in it. This will be a continuing discussion and if I’ve come across as hostile it wasn’t meant as such, I’m just passionate about this ad most of those who have also posted are.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:03 AM, Canadian Taco5 said:

@ADM S Osman how do you personally feel the UNSC Razor has faired, what has worked well and what hasn’t. I’d like to hear your prospective on where you would like to see us go from here, not just as a ship but a clan. 

I think the UNSC Razor is great, Harry Cramb has done an excellent job in his duty to guide and create community. One of the things I enjoy is seeing autonomy and when I joined staff I made it a mission to look for the best optimal structure that is autonomous so that Shawn4Japan and others can be less involved. I am a design architect and currently work in both creative and tech industries. Its evident that the less involved people are, enlisted and the UNSC Razor especially create opinion and noise around the basic asks we have for the jobs, ranks and positions around ONI. UNSC Razor have a problem doing things that they don't see others doing or other officers doing. Worried about what other officers do and frustrated that other officers were/are a higher rank when they have worked for the title in official record. It is astonishing to me that their are biases against ONI, inside of ONI and I am personally invested in seeking out exactly why this is a problem.

I can see all the chats on Discord and read the conversation that did not require Shawn to be confrontational to ask and find out most of my made observation. I am honestly as fed up with the back and forth victimizing statements that we are demonizing the ship as an administration by stepping in to ask for a solution to an already existing problem or seen as an opposing force in the eyes of NCO's who do not respect CO's outside of the UNSC Razor. This entire conversation started with the recruits I am recruiting being active in the Halo discord and greater community. These recruits would ask the same questions,

• When is boot camp?
  • Why are the text channels dead?
  • Whose unit can I join?

When I cannot answer them because we do not have resources in TRADOC, PERSCOM, the text channels lose conversations because Razor creates its own and the units to join are not welcoming of anyone outside of their own recruits this becomes my problem. Recruiting has become a multi-level issue and from my perspective I am not seeing the Razor help me out in this. I ask for help and I am not receiving it. Do you understand what kind of position I am in? @Canadian Taco5

If the ship wants this ego, the pride of being the largest ship we already agreed that the solution is to expand and everyone needs to take a larger responsibility that helps the rest of ONI in our operations and accept roles outside of the ship, because that is the future of this ship. The ships itself never should exceed 20 people really so this problem internally, is a design problem too. No we do not want a bigger ship. There is absolutely no point to it, the UNSC Prowler Corps. is not for big teams of 30+ members and there is no leaders in the UNSC Navy for big ships, not that it would fix the same problems we have with recruiting.

I am seeing some discussion on reorganization and I am very disappointed that @Harry Cramb you shared any details of an incomplete plan to create more anxiety around this strategized change. The direction is to push a narrative with more emphasis on squads and award active squads instead of an entire unit. Because of the excessive reporting we can see that one squad is more active than another but also the changes may include the combination of all branches into one singular branch (Spartan Operations) and levels of military occupational specialties. This is an area @Shawn4Japan can explain more over than I can but it is essentially a reversion to a 2011, ranking system that was both fun and rewarding when I joined around 2014.

However there is no full plan right now and I would like for that discussion to be had on another thread. There is nothing anyone can prepare to do than climb the ranks and volunteer for staff positions to be included in these ongoing conversations. Going into Infinite I would like a different ship with different names because the UNSC Razor name is staying with Halo: The Master Chief Collection as the lead ship of her class. Which hints that it is an older ship in the Halo universe.

For people who want to know more about me or what I'm doing, I am  basically creating a new ranking structure primarily based on someones job or what they do on Halo and figuring out what to measure that we can quantify and create like a performance indicator on, I feel like ONI's ranks are messed around with too much just in the past 3 years that it should really be something basic and rely more heavily on MOS and what you do like in modern militaries. Its much simpler that way and we can do just about anything for as many MOS as possible.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the topic of the thread but I feel like it should be cleared up, I don't think half of the ship does look around the site and the sites pretty much the main focal point of this whole show.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:10 PM, ADM S Osman said:

I think the UNSC Razor is great, Harry Cramb has done an excellent job in his duty to guide and create community. One of the things I enjoy is seeing autonomy and when I joined staff I made it a mission to look for the best optimal structure that is autonomous so that Shawn4Japan and others can be less involved. I am a design architect and currently work in both creative and tech industries. Its evident that the less involved people are, enlisted and the UNSC Razor especially create opinion and noise around the basic asks we have for the jobs, ranks and positions around ONI. UNSC Razor have a problem doing things that they don't see others doing or other officers doing. Worried about what other officers do and frustrated that other officers were/are a higher rank when they have worked for the title in official record. It is astonishing to me that their are biases against ONI, inside of ONI and I am personally invested in seeking out exactly why this is a problem.

I can see all the chats on Discord and read the conversation that did not require Shawn to be confrontational to ask and find out most of my made observation. I am honestly as fed up with the back and forth victimizing statements that we are demonizing the ship as an administration by stepping in to ask for a solution to an already existing problem or seen as an opposing force in the eyes of NCO's who do not respect CO's outside of the UNSC Razor. This entire conversation started with the recruits I am recruiting being active in the Halo discord and greater community. These recruits would ask the same questions,

• When is boot camp?
  • Why are the text channels dead?
  • Whose unit can I join?

When I cannot answer them because we do not have resources in TRADOC, PERSCOM, the text channels lose conversations because Razor creates its own and the units to join are not welcoming of anyone outside of their own recruits this becomes my problem. Recruiting has become a multi-level issue and from my perspective I am not seeing the Razor help me out in this. I ask for help and I am not receiving it. Do you understand what kind of position I am in? @Canadian Taco5

If the ship wants this ego, the pride of being the largest ship we already agreed that the solution is to expand and everyone needs to take a larger responsibility that helps the rest of ONI in our operations and accept roles outside of the ship, because that is the future of this ship. The ships itself never should exceed 20 people really so this problem internally, is a design problem too. No we do not want a bigger ship. There is absolutely no point to it, the UNSC Prowler Corps. is not for big teams of 30+ members and there is no leaders in the UNSC Navy for big ships, not that it would fix the same problems we have with recruiting.

I am seeing some discussion on reorganization and I am very disappointed that @Harry Cramb you shared any details of an incomplete plan to create more anxiety around this strategized change. The direction is to push a narrative with more emphasis on squads and award active squads instead of an entire unit. Because of the excessive reporting we can see that one squad is more active than another but also the changes may include the combination of all branches into one singular branch (Spartan Operations) and levels of military occupational specialties. This is an area @Shawn4Japan can explain more over than I can but it is essentially a reversion to a 2011, ranking system that was both fun and rewarding when I joined around 2014.

However there is no full plan right now and I would like for that discussion to be had on another thread. There is nothing anyone can prepare to do than climb the ranks and volunteer for staff positions to be included in these ongoing conversations. Going into Infinite I would like a different ship with different names because the UNSC Razor name is staying with Halo: The Master Chief Collection as the lead ship of her class. Which hints that it is an older ship in the Halo universe.

First and foremost most I want to thank you @ADM S Osmanfor responding and giving your perspective to all of this. I understand that you, much as many others, are busy with life out of game and taking the time is appreciated. I also want to say I don’t envy the position that your currently being put in through all this. While I have experience running my own clan, it was never this deeply rooted or diverse as ONI had become .i just have no practical experience with this in a halo clan. I’ve seen this similar scale in EVE Online’s Alliances, which are more organized then most small scale companies in the real world. Logistics and infrastructure are actual headaches at those levels and directing them is an even larger one. Im going to boil down what you posted into what I see is the most pressing points:

- While satisfied with what Razor and Harry have accomplished it’s felt that we as a ship have grown too large and that’s creating a us vs ONI mindset. 

- Members of Razor are not offering to fill positions or responsibilities that they could fill

- Keeping new recruits interacting other members is proving problematic

- There is a lack of PERSCOM and TRADOC files that would assist with informing members, files could be filled in by enterprising members

-Razor is from an outside perspective a welcoming body to those they don’t directly recruit

- Razor has grown too large as a prowler and there is no current plan to increase her to a ship of larger tonnage

- Finally a reorganization and re-ranking is currently being planned out without a full launch date, but is currently being worked on.

I hope I summarized those points well enough. At this stage I think getting the senior nco’s from Razor together and hashing things out would be the best. Also with the decision to not increase the razors tonnage to a larger hull as much as I would hate to see Razor split I think it would be worth with to move half of razors active members into another ship, they can both work together on MCC, possibly just different focuses (roleplay vs comp as an example). 

This has really all come at a confusing time for everyone as we are all excited and prepping for Infinite but without a lot of info from the devs to give a clearer idea of what support there will be out of gate. 

I will start directing anyone, be it razor or otherwise here to voice there disagreements and perspectives, and hopefully to provide options and solutions that can be used to correct what’s been happening. 

Open and honest discourse is the only way we will all be able to come together and understand one another. If I’ve incorrectly worded something above or Mia-represented or over simplified please let me know and I’ll correct as needed.

Thank you for your time everyone

On 9/7/2021 at 9:10 PM, ADM S Osman said:

If I may here, out of all the conversations I have seen and been apart of, I have yet to understand this ego Shawn, and now you, keep pointing out. It's not per say an ego from my stand point, I don't see how we're walking around bragging about how 'we're the best' or 'we are better than anyone else'. That to me is ego, and I don't see that within the Razor ship. I have never seen it, not once for that matter, so where is this coming from? We don't have this pride of being a bigger ship, even though we are, and I don't mean that in an egotistical way or anything. A lot of people in this ship have busted their ass to recruit and to keep the members active and involved. The ship in itself, in all reality, if you add up the day to day active members, is not that much. There are a lot of people within the Razor ship, a big chunk of our numbers come from people that have been apart of the ship for a while and are no longer active, or people that can only be on a handful of times a week. I'm sure this happens within other ships as well, not just Razor. 

On another note, just out of curiosity, why is it that a ship "never should exceed 20 people"? I find it more reliable to have quite a few members, so if need be for anything, there are plenty of people who can hop on and assist for any ships that need it. Also, a lot of people joins clans to do something in their free time and to make friends, having a small group of people in a ship, I feel, would turn away a lot of people.

4 minutes ago, Fire 2the Flame said:

If I may here, out of all the conversations I have seen and been apart of, I have yet to understand this ego Shawn, and now you, keep pointing out. It's not per say an ego from my stand point, I don't see how we're walking around bragging about how 'we're the best' or 'we are better than anyone else'. That to me is ego, and I don't see that within the Razor ship. I have never seen it, not once for that matter, so where is this coming from? We don't have this pride of being a bigger ship, even though we are, and I don't mean that in an egotistical way or anything. A lot of people in this ship have busted their ass to recruit and to keep the members active and involved. The ship in itself, in all reality, if you add up the day to day active members, is not that much. There are a lot of people within the Razor ship, a big chunk of our numbers come from people that have been apart of the ship for a while and are no longer active, or people that can only be on a handful of times a week. I'm sure this happens within other ships as well, not just Razor. 

On another note, just out of curiosity, why is it that a ship "never should exceed 20 people"? I find it more reliable to have quite a few members, so if need be for anything, there are plenty of people who can hop on and assist for any ships that need it. Also, a lot of people joins clans to do something in their free time and to make friends, having a small group of people in a ship, I feel, would turn away a lot of people.

Ego is understood as a persons sense of self-esteem or self-importance. The ego is most evident when the ship collectively recites the reminder that the unit is the largest, that the pride you share in close relation to staff roles creates upward pressure. Submitting reports and than complaints about others not doing the same, than turning around to posture a greater attitude than current staff because of the responsibilities they have is misunderstood becomes a problem.

Pride and ego are easily confused, the key difference between ego and pride is that ego is a sense of self-importance which can lead to arrogance whereas pride is a sense of satisfaction. The words ego and pride are so close in meaning and so interrelated that sometimes it becomes difficult to differentiate between them. Its okay to have an ego, in what I said I want people to be in the best positions possible for ONI to succeed. If someone has an ego, they will be tested. Members who believe they are working harder, doing better and so on should be allowed the platform to perform at a higher level and rewarded.

The ships never to exceed 20 people, is simply because small teams work better than larger teams in coordination. We see this work, having tested this over the course of years. In a lobby you can have 16 people max. So 20 has been the average number for Prowlers. Typically the larger units are 32 but I have yet to see a unit where all 32 members are online at any given time in the 8 years I have been here. If 20 people are not enough, you should rely on ONI. The clan you are in and staff to coordinate with other units, Spartans, ODSTs and reserves or civilians for events that require more than 20. Focusing on small teams build up to an tactile community is an alternative thought process of this.

I understand that many people feel like there is going to be separation from name or from unit if another unit is created. This is another persistent problem; that if we cannot all see ONI as one clan and/or one unit than the divisions, that is for easier organization and tasking will end this clan in constant infighting. SPARTANs are not apart of ships, and so the inclusion of SPARTANs today has only ever been on a mission needed basis. The ODSTs are in an entirely different unit yet, the lack of leadership has attached the current ODSTs to the most active unit. These are things that we need to understand the separation of through either more educative reform or stronger leadership. If you do not have enough people or the correct people for a mission you should be able to have access to more people @Fire 2the Flame wouldn't you agree?

Its already in practice just within the Razor, each Squad relies on each other. But for some reason it ends there, the entire clan is a resource to you and we are trying to look for better ways to let everyone know this.

My points are not misrepresented @Canadian Taco5 These are all areas we are asking everyone to come together and work with, for a good solution. For my plans and what I think would remediate some of the stress we're experiencing.

1. UNSC Razor needs to commit to two squads excluding the ODST for a total of 3 Squads or 1 Platoon, if people need to be removed please do so.
  2. Platoon needs a call sign, each squad will have an following call sign Ex. UNSC Razor, Hockey Platoon, Hockey 1 Squad and Hockey 2 Squad Hockey 3
  3. Between NCOs each one should add an additional responsibility, if people are training they need to be added to TRADOC
  4. PERSCOM & The previous HR Department has merged, we need 1 volunteer from the Razor to help in processing recruits; this will most likely be in staff
  5. SgtMaj. Tsar needs to play a larger role with the clan, in staff role or other, the command design is great but obviously something is wrong with ONI if we're not providing a platform for more of his/your ideas.

There is no rumoured animosity and discord in the UNSC Razor. What we do have is pride for our ship, for Officer, our NCO’s, one another and ONI as a whole. So with that in mind, let’s break into some things. 

The title of the thread is inaccurate, I did that for a more shock and awe since otherwise this website is dead and the forums are really only me and a handful of boomers who use it. No one would look at it if it did not have a problematic title. While I agree there is less so any rumors of, there is animosity. Towards command, towards inactive CO's and towards From the Ashes and decisions made in High Command. Maple was very transparent about that, the title again is inaccurate to describe the whole ship but some members definitely feel that way and their feelings are justified. This is not the perfect clan, with active officers and daily operations. Halo isn't to blame for that and there are plans to remove inactive people from holding key positions.

Then we either need more designated recruiters or better site/discord integration. I don’t have an answer for the site/discord integration. And it may honestly be fine and I’m just not paying attention. I’ll gladly do what I can to transfer folks from site to game. The issue that people would rather be playing the game or chatting on discord. I don’t see many people utilizing the website beyond Op reports and aars. Both of which are tied into advancement one way or another.

I don't have the answer either, I'm sure its frustrating all around when you look up to staff and we can't figure this one out. For the most part, Staff can't recruit in our current system because if staff does recruit and cannot keep up with said recruit the penalty of that will add up and officers like Admiral Osman would have to step down from the 100+ people she's invited but cannot keep up with. I have recruits too that are just a different time zone, they become lost and have no where to go and by our own standard now I am held responsible for the success of the recruit. If the recruits fail, I fail. If I am unable to recruit this clan basically dies.

On 8/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, Shawn4Japan said:

Here’s where shits gonna start. I said at the beginning as I drafted this I was gonna keep it simple. Doubt that will continue. A few lines into your post you say :

So the #Razor chat and your own channel, it should be understood by now that you are in ONI and the general chats are really for general conversation. In most of any case there is an slew of channels available to chat from but now since the Largest Ship believes that they need their own chat channels it takes away the Largest Communicators from chatting in the channels provided. If Razor needs to make a specific announcement, there is an announcement channel. The pseudo privacy creates division, like what are you guys racist? hate furries? Why keep a separate chat when the same functions can be exercised in the main channels. All other teams are being asked the same because as admins we shouldn't have to look through 30 categories of Discord to find what we want. It is over-organizing and stressing staff out.

There is no one responsible for them because they joined finding our website on any platform we are recruiting on. The UNSC Razor being the biggest should take care of this problem?

But then threaten to take away the chat we use to communicate between ourselves as a group, for socializing and planning events.  You really go out of your way here to demonize us for simply existing. 

Planning events I went over with Fire, we should just use the events chat and only @ Razor, prevent anyone else from signing up. I discussed with Maple too that if he's going to do any private 1 on 1 training, or more he should let everyone else know. If we're going to move on and create a collaborative space where we all get better at the game we need to be playing together and sharing knowledge, not no private meetings and anything of the latter. Being demonized is harsh to say, this is constructive and maybe not everything that we see in command is being considered here. This is a collaborative effort that personal chats like that not be allowed on our platform as its preventing us from hitting other goals we have.

I’ve been playing with the UNSC Port Stanley and the Kilo-5 unit, and they don’t even know the UNSC Razor at all like one bit.

And why is that? Why have we not received invitations from Port Stanley? Why have they not bothered to respond to pings or other prompts? This is a two way street and you can’t blame us without have the same conversation with them.

I play with them because they invite me, because I know them too. There is all kinds of reasons to believe where and how the Razor and Port Stanley never met each other, that team is highly reputable with most us in command as the badass A-team we send to get anything completed in the way we want. There is a skill gap and knowledge gap between both units but also a gap in ambition, this conversation in this thread I don't need to have with them because its understood why nuances like a chat isn't needed. Why an entire ship of 30+ members is not needed. Why training should be shared knowledge. I know for a fact that the UNSC Razor outside of Harry does not know anyone from Kilo-5 and Kilo-5 is not interested in the UNSC Razor outside of training in all areas they specialize in, that is a unit that wastes no time. They are either raiding or training to be better for raids. I thought it was an area of interest for Razor but not too many people responded in such a large unit but the opportunity is open until Halo Infinite comes out.

Not every ship has the same purpose, not every team is kind of open to this whole coming together for customs idea especially from people they just simply do not know. The thing about trying to better relations between people and units is to keep on trying and provide a more open concept to inviting people to play with you or attend events.

And hey this is great, different content for different people, gathered together to support each other. That said if you want us to invite people to our games but then give us shit for pinging the other ships. It’s been clarified in the discord at the time you asked your question as to the platforms of the other ships but I don’t believe it’s listed anywhere accessible or visible. I would have a more accessible page either in the discord or website giving brief overviews of the different ships and what there main focus areas are on. 

See you'll have to screenshot where I am giving you shit for pinging other ships. If every time you are told something by someone higher in rank than you to do it differently or here is a better way classified as being shit on, you are talking to the top shitter. Like this entire thread if you want to read it that way, is shitting on you. In fact I don't know why this is so common but when you are being coached, mentored or even just told to do the right thing it is not to shit on. I can't even begin to believe where that mindset comes from, I am hungry for feedback and what people think so I could always do better, I expect more from you and not take anything we say or do for a "he's shitting on me again smh"

And you are right, its not accessible or visible and thats something I need help on, thats something we are working on. But pinging ships, when no one wants to be pinged especially for something that isn't urgent comes at a request from members that are my friends that joined the clan to play Halo with, from members that do not want to associate with Razor because they do not know you and again from members who exclusively keep to themselves in their circles and own chats.

The personal pride for your ship over ONI is what creates the divisiveness you see from Command and your ship. Because most of the members on Razor don't know anyone above Harry and pride themselves, building an ego to pushes on egos above.

Yes we take pride in our ship, as navy personnel have for centuries. As for not know Command personnel above Harry, where does the fault lie there? Your relatively active Shawn, but what of the rest? I get that everyone has lives outside of this world and that fine, but you can’t say that we don’t know you all if we never see or hear from you. 

Well I talked about if you were looking for them to drop dead and leave the clan @Anna Richards resigned and more are to come most likely. @Dale Kilkin is resigning end of December I think but from the other officers does it really matter? Does it answer all your problems that these people go away. Because they do not affect you one way or another and their lives and service here is slandered by enlisted who join and 6 months think they are equivalent to the officer who spent 6 years in ONI. This pointing up and gaslighting needs to stop. For what reason do you even need to know officers over Harry, what you need to know is goals that are set for you and whether you had a voice in them or not and if you are meeting them or not.

If the ships are not coordinating then there is clearly a high level lack of active leadership. Leadership and should be replaced with those who are able and active to take it on. If Razor is too large for a prowler then mane she needs to be re-allocated as a larger vessel. 

. If you want to remove leaders, call them out. Become confrontational or else statements like this shared from you, to him, to her, to him, to me in a telephone game becomes the rumored animosity I am talking about. If you think you have all the answers to this and see a problem speak up, who should be replaced? Who do you think isn't doing their job well enough for you?

So I’ll make going to hand a olive branch here after my rants. No one should be de-valuing what our senior members and highcom have accomplished. They are the reason this clan and it’s infrastructure exist. If they are working sight unseen then I feel like they should get more of a shout out, at least in some small way so that enlisted know what the are doing. There’s a balance there obviously due to Op Sec, but I feel a little light should get shined on them. That all said you can’t blame enlisted like myself for seeing nothing day to day. It’s just the way perspective works. You can’t see over a wall if your at the bottom, but climb the ladder next to it and you can see the harbour beyond.

Its an interesting concept keeping OPSEC but also asking for the baseline responsibilities of an officer to be awarded. Staff is strict, we bite at each other in this fish bowl challenging our ideas as Iron sharpens Iron and pressuring each other in a competitive frenzy of coals in a shop becoming diamonds or dust. Yes I agree they should have more presence when warranted, I have been too nice and let people go off coming back months at a time. Because I am too nice officers are lenient, but I am nice because things get done. When I ask for something and build a timeline it gets done, I have nothing to award someone who is doing their job. Fish don't receive medals for swimming. Do some officers go over the top? Maybe. In retrospect members are awarded for being active by being able to participate in discussions and access to otherwise restricted forums. Perspective to me, from the bottom requires an understanding of peoples general roles in the clan and what they do to which we detailed and published in the overview page [ https://www.semper-vigilans.org/organization/overview/ ]

But of course I wouldn't even know you have this perspective of us doing nothing because it was never voiced any earlier. We can always work on providing more information behind what we do, but not the finished results as we see the lack of information creates anxiety and rumors again, some people aren't reading everything either. I am still disappointed my Marine Corps and Navy thread was received by a couple enlisted as the branches going to be deleted or something drastic when the topic was to clarify the separation between the two, which is now unnecessary.

42 minutes ago, ADM S Osman said:

My points are not misrepresented @Canadian Taco5 These are all areas we are asking everyone to come together and work with, for a good solution. For my plans and what I think would remediate some of the stress we're experiencing.

1. UNSC Razor needs to commit to two squads excluding the ODST for a total of 3 Squads or 1 Platoon, if people need to be removed please do so.
  2. Platoon needs a call sign, each squad will have an following call sign Ex. UNSC Razor, Hockey Platoon, Hockey 1 Squad and Hockey 2 Squad Hockey 3
  3. Between NCOs each one should add an additional responsibility, if people are training they need to be added to TRADOC
  4. PERSCOM & The previous HR Department has merged, we need 1 volunteer from the Razor to help in processing recruits; this will most likely be in staff
  5. SgtMaj. Tsar needs to play a larger role with the clan, in staff role or other, the command design is great but obviously something is wrong with ONI if we're not providing a platform for more of his/your ideas.

I think people are too comfortable in their current positions and need to be jump started to where they want to be. If someone wants to make a difference and wants to join staff, promote them to O1 to help. Put more risk on their backs because the cushion of being an NCO is building confidence to solve all the problems we have.

The number one thing I am always hearing about is that the rank stops me from doing x, y, z. This is simply not true. You are stopping yourselves from achieving any kind of greatness, respect or progress in the clan. Any position ahead of you can be fulfilled if you just knew how to do it or did it already.

My answer would be

1. Promote Maple to an O1 in the Marine Corps. add him to TRADOC, make him responsible for documentation of AIT Advanced Individual Training and possibly more higher in training staff, like a director or something in raids and tactical action.

2. Promote Blueaero to an O1 in the Navy, and fulfill an XO role of the ship to assist Harry in online coverage. Even though Blueaero may become XO, another person in staff should probably help Blue, I simply do not know enough people in your ship but someone else closer to you and higher in rank should join you as a point of contact for your ships logistic operations.

3. Canadian Taco is expecting a baby (everyone say congrats) so his role needs to be rotated out, find an apprentice to replace you and join a staff corp (Medical, JAG, Engineering Corps.) maybe even joining Mr Morris or even instead of a staff corp become an O1 with more auxiliary duties not required to get online every single event.

4. Fire2theflame which I am not fully aware of your status, you are active you have the most options because your gripes come from one of us in command failing, you can pick up after us to become one of us replacing someone in command as an O1 or enjoy enlisted leisure in the mess hall, taking up a position as Platoon leader or Platoon staff. Considering the size of the ship, to avoid infighting the Platoon head should be Harry, but that is one of the more technical details we have yet to really iron out or I just don't know and maybe Osman can shed some light on that.

We have a ton of great members and simple tasks that if someone wanted to be closer to staff, to help staff out or even become staff its hard to deny it. An NCO can pick up most officer duties BECAUSE THEY ARE OFFICERS, and we have already recognized this. NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS, OFFICERS its why 2nd Lieutenant and 1st Lieutenant requirements are easy, if you become a Platoon Sergeant or Company Sergeant you basically an O1, or O2. The entire move to a newer rank/SQUAD focused structure is to give more power to these NCO's who think that they cannot do something because they are not x, y, z and command does not appreciate them or some thing. Very frustrating all around and I hope my message comes across that way that this isn't as big of an issue as it is.

51 minutes ago, Shawn4Japan said:

Fire2theflame which I am not fully aware of your status, you are active you have the most options because your gripes come from one of us in command failing, you can pick up after us to become one of us replacing someone in command as an O1 or enjoy enlisted leisure in the mess hall, taking up a position as Platoon leader or Platoon staff. Considering the size of the ship, to avoid infighting the Platoon head should be Harry, but that is one of the more technical details we have yet to really iron out or I just don't know and maybe Osman can shed some light on that.

Why the roster is so important, it would have visualized this however Harry moved to copy the 19th Fleets roster. Since then I am not involved and we are not really all that privy into the details of the structure of the ship. In addition to the short staff in projects we have needed to be completed, If I am completely honest I have yet to look at the roster at all but the ship should not be too unfamiliar in structure.

The ship structure for the Razor should look something like this right now.

UNSC RAZOR
   COMMAND
Captain of the Ship/Commanding Officer
XO

STAFF
Pilot/Navy Aviation
Forgers, photographers, whatever else

PLATOON
CO
XO/Platoon Sergeant
OPSO/

Platoon composition
1 Squad Marine Recon & Navy Hospital corpsmen (12)
1 Squad Marine Sniper & Navy Hospital corpsmen (12)
1 Squad Marine Raiders, Special Operations ODST (12)

All squads are shared between 2 units, the UNSC Razor and the 11th MFR/ODST this means that the 11th MFR/ODST should be able to host training days and so and practice as a marine unit in bettering themselves. Marines can take higher leadership roles than the ship can maintain, allowing them to ideally move to where needed when we schedule something. The Platoon should take advice from a larger company, that makes up the 11th and engage with other people in the clan especially marines all the time.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:57 AM, Shawn4Japan said:

And you are right, its not accessible or visible and thats something I need help on, thats something we are working on. But pinging ships, when no one wants to be pinged especially for something that isn't urgent comes at a request from members that are my friends that joined the clan to play Halo with, from members that do not want to associate with Razor because they do not know you and again from members who exclusively keep to themselves in their circles and own chats.

I’m willing to take criticism, feedback and quite frankly told when I’ve fucked something up. That’s what we need to do to learn and grow. I will apologize for not representing myself better when I said: “That said if you want us to invite people to our games but then give us shit for pinging the other ships.” It had been brought up a while back in a discord discussion regarding pinging ships without thought to their AO’s or activity. 
As for Port Stanley and Kilo-5, if they are the go to team, the top of the top, then surely they have knowledge that could be passed onto Razors memebers, or assist as raid training for one another. I personally feel that giving Port Stanley the freedom to not engage with us at the same time as indicating we aren’t open to other units to join us for activities *feels* hypocritical. But this tread isn’t about Stanley it’s about Razor, so we will swing back to the main topic. 
Im not going to make this post excessively long, the only thing it will accomplish is more in fighting than is needed. Both of your last posts are honestly exactly what I would like to see, and not just from you but everyone involved with ONI regardless of rank or role. Problems were outlined and solutions and plans were given.

I’ll freely admit that many of the points I’ve made in this thread I’ve both regretted and made too hastily. I do not want senior staff to drop dead, no one should have that kind of hate for people they’ve never met. Anna’s resignation post high-lights the strife that staff have to go through when conclusions are being thrown around without facts or confirmations. As was mentioned, most of us under O1 or staff have little reason to interact with those above our CO’s.  I guess I’m still not used to the compartmentalizations of ONI, such depth in a halo community.

That all said I think at the end of the day we all just want to be heard. And realistically if we had issues or misgivings we as a ground should have drafted this post and had a conversation around it. I still believe sitting down with small groups of the folks in razor would be good to have everyone say their peace, for those who don’t frequent the site. 

I want this conversation to continue and I for one will do better to stay away from commenting on those areas I don’t know about or have a mid-informed opinion. 

On 9/10/2021 at 2:24 AM, Shawn4Japan said:

My answer would be

1. Promote Maple to an O1 in the Marine Corps. add him to TRADOC, make him responsible for documentation of AIT Advanced Individual Training and possibly more higher in training staff, like a director or something in raids and tactical action.

2. Promote Blueaero to an O1 in the Navy, and fulfill an XO role of the ship to assist Harry in online coverage. Even though Blueaero may become XO, another person in staff should probably help Blue, I simply do not know enough people in your ship but someone else closer to you and higher in rank should join you as a point of contact for your ships logistic operations.

3. Canadian Taco is expecting a baby (everyone say congrats) so his role needs to be rotated out, find an apprentice to replace you and join a staff corp (Medical, JAG, Engineering Corps.) maybe even joining Mr Morris or even instead of a staff corp become an O1 with more auxiliary duties not required to get online every single event.

4. Fire2theflame which I am not fully aware of your status, you are active you have the most options because your gripes come from one of us in command failing, you can pick up after us to become one of us replacing someone in command as an O1 or enjoy enlisted leisure in the mess hall, taking up a position as Platoon leader or Platoon staff. Considering the size of the ship, to avoid infighting the Platoon head should be Harry, but that is one of the more technical details we have yet to really iron out or I just don't know and maybe Osman can shed some light on that.

This is a solid plan, though I would bring Harry, Blue, Maple and AgentSniper together to had out the roles. I think with how many people Razor currently has between our navy and marine contingents it may be worth considering a sister ship, allowing for more training of fireteam leaders, squad leaders and officers to be prepped for Infinite. Also thank you for the shout out regard my soon to be bundle of joy ^^

On 9/10/2021 at 4:39 AM, ADM S Osman said:

Why the roster is so important, it would have visualized this however Harry moved to copy the 19th Fleets roster. Since then I am not involved and we are not really all that privy into the details of the structure of the ship. In addition to the short staff in projects we have needed to be completed, If I am completely honest I have yet to look at the roster at all but the ship should not be too unfamiliar in structure.

If it’s not already being worked on, I could offer assistance to creating a more unified roster, ive being assisting with the curation of Razors for a couple months now. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.