ONI

SPARTAN Program Reintroduction (SPARTAN-III Discussion)

Often times I'm asked what is the SPARTAN-III Program here and with all that is going on around staff its something we've let older members simply run and decide for themselves. The requirements previously were ambiguous but closer to most clans we know in the community today. If you were liked with good rapport, you could become one. If you were individually skilled it would also be available to you too. Unfortunately in ONI the other Spartan programs fulfilled one or the other role and we do not want anything to exist overlapping each other.

This thread will mostly be about the 3rd iteration of the program, what we know and how it should be applied.

I don't intend on really waiting around for the discussion to keep going. If nothing new can be added we'll move forward with what we have in 7 days from now. Effectively putting the weight of this decision upfront and to be revisited if needed.

The SPARTAN Programs are divided into niche activities that are essential to the Halo community. These are the below niche communities we developed the programs around to follow suite, this hasn't changed since 2016.

SPARTAN-II's uphold a legendary status recognizable to 343 Industries and the Halo community as members who completed the game in 100% completion and are involved in the community over Waypoint. The experienced, seasoned veteran that the players become earning this title is incontestably the role model of Halo gamers. 

SPARTAN-III's focused on HLG, the Hidden League Gaming community and performing valiant acts in trick shots, hard jumps and by process of elimination becoming the best players Halo could offer in its map make up getting from point A to point B through god knows glitches and button combos.

HEADHUNTERS (SPARTAN-III)
Assassination based teams, specifically honed in the skills to ninja someone from the back.

SPARTAN-IV's niche is competitive Halo in the many forms it takes. Coached to compete in Halo through online tournaments, in previously what was MLG, AGL, ESL and now HCS players are given the network and tools necessary to qualify as an amateur to eventually become a pro at Halo.

HEADHUNTERS (SPARTAN-IV)
Ranked Doubles based teams, specifically specializing in 2v2s.

Now with this kind of general synopsis out of the way, HLG and the SPARTAN-III Program's purpose has all but died out. From what was easily an 20,000 community member niche has died down to under 1,000 people still hiding in matchmaking or even know what it is. We've discussed that the speed running community is bigger and on the rise, complementing the SPARTAN-II's purpose on 100% game completion.

Of course I could do a poll but this is something to discuss as its kind of closer to home and the roots to what ONI is as a guide writing group originally.

3 hours ago, Shawn4Japan said:

Now with this kind of general synopsis out of the way, HLG and the SPARTAN-III Program's purpose has all but died out. From what was easily an 20,000 community member niche has died down to under 1,000 people still hiding in matchmaking or even know what it is. We've discussed that the speed running community is bigger and on the rise, complementing the SPARTAN-II's purpose on 100% game completion.

HLG is very much alive. I will not refute the fact that its an exclusive community that is hard to get into and interact with but it is lively. There are still videos being posted on new hiding spots on maps in the Insider program. I would not discount that community and our presence there with the SPARTAN-III Program.

13 hours ago, ADM S Osman said:

I know we talked about Halo speed runs at one point in time. Was speed running reserved for something else?

I was thinking about that too but I don't remember if we set up anything to be specifically for speed running. Which is a shame, we should include that community too. Along with Grifball.

13 hours ago, ADM S Osman said:

HLG is very much alive. I will not refute the fact that its an exclusive community that is hard to get into and interact with but it is lively. There are still videos being posted on new hiding spots on maps in the Insider program. I would not discount that community and our presence there with the SPARTAN-III Program.

I'm not impartial to them or anything just saying that it was a smaller community. It's probably best we keep a footprint there with the Spartan programs than anything.

Speed running sounds great to be honest I really want to include it but I cannot think of any area in the clan right now. It might be best to simply have a competition inside of who can finish what missions the fastest with awards like credits or recommendation. Honestly in itself worthy of that.

I don't know which to go with as far as the SPARTAN-III Program goes but I think that the SPARTAN-II Requirements are too easy. The maps themselves are outdated and once Infinite comes out no one is going to want to go back to the games that will eventually be phased out in the coming revamp of the franchise as 343 Industries has shared Halo: Infinite to be.

To future proof ourselves in the coming months that should be re-looked at, its important to remember we're not competing with other clans too. We shouldn't make these things easier just because people are turned away from becoming something near legendary from there average, no name characters.