ONI

The Mr Morris - 02/05/2021

Rate this topic

Throughout my years of service in the ONI I have made so many friends and have had so many amazing memories. Semper Vigilans has actually had a very impactful place in my life and I am so happy that I got a chance to be apart of it. Unfortunately it’s time to go, not because of personal life or work or my marriage but that I’m burnt out. For the past few years a cycle has continued to repeat where at the beginning of every new year half of the active clan leaves and then we rebuild. This has been a never ending cycle with most of these spots filled by old members who will continue to follow said cycle.

It is time for this organization to go to rest in my true opinion, the higher officers are grown adults trying to live their lives and those who do not have many real life obligations such as a job or relationship are either too low of a rank or have already left. I want to play with a clan for fun and make new friends and my responsibilities here have become a shell of their original purpose. The time has come. I am resigning not retiring to make sure that I cannot go back on my word and try to return with my Officer rank. Shawn, Tsar, Blue, Harry, Nemesis, Gamer and Jason have all been people I’ve been very grateful to have within my life despite it being virtual.

I want to just play clans and what not for fun and more laid back. I hope to see you all again in the community and I will remain in the discord server but I will take away my mod roles and ship roles. This has been an amazing part of my life for the past five years even when I went under my old gamertag REBUILT PARTY35.

Signed,

Alexander Morris

2nd Lieutenant The Mr Morris (Alexander Morris)
Commanding Officer within the UNSC Army 34th Infantry Brigade
UNSC Army, UNSC 34th Infantry Brigade//

Oh man, sorry to see you go hope you have a great time enjoying the luxury of no responsibilities/officer hood that we earned (though might not have asked for) I think that this clan has many discourse in seriousness or even requirement but that's what is kept this community so inline with the narrative. I appreciate all your feedback and criticism and always open to more. In times where I've felt burnt out I definitely did the odd jobs on the hill to get back into kicking gear. For you it's harder but this is definitely an opportunity. I'll send you something over Discord concerning jobs from the hill. 

I have decided that my last day with ONI would be the end of support of Xbox Live for the Xbox 360. It does come as trying times that I am often disconnected with many of you. I am a professor at Georgia Tech University, I have had several teachers assistants but it has only bought little to no time for clans. I support anyway that I can being of higher brass but definitely understand the struggles and possibilities of being burnt out. Once before also being in your shoes in a simpler time where covert operations were more colorful, plentiful without confusing reports to submit.

I was able to experience many other things that kept me from becoming absolutely bored with ONI in the rabbit hole of community dramas that we became entangled with. Moving up the ranks, I cannot speak into greater depths but its difficult and become more stagnant as Xbox has become more connected. Most of us sympathize with you and the cycling of new agents and old. Most people would rather play Call of Duty or other games and it is completely understandable. Most others do not want armor requirements and with the addition of new player cards and other customization options it only becomes harder to be in ONI in the stricter regimented narrative that Shawn would want to competitively represent ONI.

No one likes talking about this cycle but we know about it, it is inevitable in gaming communities sociologically. Expansion is the only solution but it begins with enlisted that want to lead by example into other games, creating opportunity for fun and laid back atmosphere. Idio plays socially without any concern for rank and has his fun. Once people understand that the community is beyond our ranks it is really more laid back than it is. For us as Officers and my time before the inevitable end to my tenure I can only fulfill those responsibilities I have to this community and where you haven't found how you can help there will always be an area you can, I feel sorry for whoever made you feel empty in your responsibilities.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

“Father time is undefeated, but that doesn’t mean you have to quit fighting.” -Stephen Siraco

1 hour ago, Morris said:

I want to just play clans and what not for fun and more laid back. I hope to see you all again in the community and I will remain in the discord server but I will take away my mod roles and ship roles. This has been an amazing part of my life for the past five years even when I went under my old gamertag REBUILT PARTY35.

Signed,

Alexander Morris

I am surprised that you do not just play for fun.. and be more laid back... I am not against these things and do not know where/how ONI is oppressing people from just playing Halo. If you abandon your responsibilities completely as an Officer than its possible that Officerhood is just simply not for you but plenty of others will just play Halo for what it is. Or any other game. I have no expectations for you (in a good way) I did not know exactly what you wanted to do creating the HR department but have no input, as similarly in logistical challenge I am exhausted finding solutions to only cost actual money or development outside of our current influence.

I can go on indefinitely but do what makes you happy, have fun spectating!

On 2/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, ADM S Osman said:

I am surprised that you do not just play for fun.. and be more laid back... I am not against these things and do not know where/how ONI is oppressing people from just playing Halo. If you abandon your responsibilities completely as an Officer than its possible that Officerhood is just simply not for you but plenty of others will just play Halo for what it is. Or any other game. I have no expectations for you (in a good way) I did not know exactly what you wanted to do creating the HR department but have no input, as similarly in logistical challenge I am exhausted finding solutions to only cost actual money or development outside of our current influence.

I can go on indefinitely but do what makes you happy, have fun spectating!

I missed this point completely! I want to be let in to this conversation if theirs any ongoing one though, it’s kind of nostalgic to 2014 when none of us was allowed to do much else outside of grinding Halo.

4 hours ago, Anna Richards said:

I don’t have to play because no one reports under me but man, to just play for fun lol. Is it that hard for officers to do now? 

It’s honestly just a tiring cycle. We can obviously play for fun but while trying to keep members happy and do our jobs of retaining people it’s a bit of an issue. The ranking structure for this clan intimidates a lot of people despite us trying to explain that it’s not as hard as given off. The majority of our losses come from people not seeing and purpose or hope in this clan and seeing it as a dead end. The majority of the people who have joined didn’t even know there were more officers beyond Shawn and the fact I’m seeing staff finally show signs of life on my resignation easily helps my point that there isn’t much life to this clan whatsoever anymore. Ship-level wise there is activity but when it comes to High Command it feels like a rumor about people who communicate with us once in a blue moon then vanish off a again for months or years. Most clans are more progressive on this and their higher ranks actually communicate to lower enlisted to remind them of their existence. High Command is forgotten almost everyday on Razor as we only see one member of High Command actually alive and that’s Shawn.

• Shawn4Japan changed the title to The Mr Morris - 02/05/2021

Ah, classic. People think none of us matter since we're not as active as Shawn is or responsive to you. It's selfish, we are all here for ONI yet so many people want engagement from people who do not matter to them, I'm honestly the happiest being a Warrant Officer now but just to browse and see how short sighted members are to make it all about themselves to detail but don't make it a point to be an impactful leader themselves. So what if new people join and don't know any Officers outside of yourself? If they are members that explored to talk to us they can get to know us. It's a privilege to think anyone's owed our time from what to what ONI's intelligence focus is far behind. We rise to rank differently but it still should be understood that from member to member there shouldn't be constant thought of where is HIGHCOM or who is in it especially if they don't affect your day to day business like you stretch it out to be.

Correct me anyone if I'm wrong but the Prowler Corps. and UNSC Razor fall under ONI and ADM S Osman? Its entirely outside of HIGHCOM other than assignments which doesn't take much to figure out that the breakdown in communication is with your leadership and the one above. Don't come back if you think that this is anything like "most other progressive clans." because this is comparable to other clans.

We can obviously play for fun but while trying to keep members happy and do our jobs of retaining people it’s a bit of an issue. The ranking structure for this clan intimidates a lot of people despite us trying to explain that it’s not as hard as given off. The majority of our losses come from people not seeing and purpose or hope in this clan and seeing it as a dead end.

You made that your problem starting an HR department, I ran the previous one and it died once before simply because someone else could do my duties better without having an entire section created for it. You write these documents down in what is already a 15 year old community of documentation thinking it may teach people to help others stay in the clan when what they really need to do is their duties in front of them. We've all wanted to share our bestowed staff powers to enlisted to make our jobs easier but its not as simple as given a few people tasks on top of their responsibilities to the ship.

Also are you asking for the ranking structure to be easier? Is it not easy enough. If you understand the logistical challenge Osman's shared I can't see why putting a wedge between the door asking Shawn for a promotion is going to do. People talk, word gets around that you ask every chance you get after jumping rank due to my failures in doing that OCS system, one thats removed me from commissioned officers status entirely after being in the clan for 8 years now.

Whose responsibility is it to give purpose and hope in the clan? This must be a projection too. Especially with all the work that Shawn does to publish the updates and show development. If in a pyramid the bottom looks to the top for assistance where is the middle? Why can they not look to you for that hope and purpose. I miss Elias Ainsworth because at least he understood that as principle to leadership.

1 minute ago, Gabriella Dvørak said:

Ah, classic. People think none of us matter since we're not as active as Shawn is or responsive to you. It's selfish, we are all here for ONI yet so many people want engagement from people who do not matter to them, I'm honestly the happiest being a Warrant Officer now but just to browse and see how short sighted members are to make it all about themselves to detail but don't make it a point to be an impactful leader themselves. So what if new people join and don't know any Officers outside of yourself? If they are members that explored to talk to us they can get to know us. It's a privilege to think anyone's owed our time from what to what ONI's intelligence focus is far behind. We rise to rank differently but it still should be understood that from member to member there shouldn't be constant thought of where is HIGHCOM or who is in it especially if they don't affect your day to day business like you stretch it out to be.

Correct me anyone if I'm wrong but the Prowler Corps. and UNSC Razor fall under ONI and ADM S Osman? Its entirely outside of HIGHCOM other than assignments which doesn't take much to figure out that the breakdown in communication is with your leadership and the one above. Don't come back if you think that this is anything like "most other progressive clans." because this is comparable to other clans.

You made that your problem starting an HR department, I ran the previous one and it died once before simply because someone else could do my duties better without having an entire section created for it. You write these documents down in what is already a 15 year old community of documentation thinking it may teach people to help others stay in the clan when what they really need to do is their duties in front of them. We've all wanted to share our bestowed staff powers to enlisted to make our jobs easier but its not as simple as given a few people tasks on top of their responsibilities to the ship.

Also are you asking for the ranking structure to be easier? Is it not easy enough. If you understand the logistical challenge Osman's shared I can't see why putting a wedge between the door asking Shawn for a promotion is going to do. People talk, word gets around that you ask every chance you get after jumping rank due to my failures in doing that OCS system, one thats removed me from commissioned officers status entirely after being in the clan for 8 years now.

Whose responsibility is it to give purpose and hope in the clan? This must be a projection too. Especially with all the work that Shawn does to publish the updates and show development. If in a pyramid the bottom looks to the top for assistance where is the middle? Why can they not look to you for that hope and purpose. I miss Elias Ainsworth because at least he understood that as principle to leadership.

If someone wants to point fingers its me, its my fault as it is yours @Gabriella Dvørak.

While I want to respond similarly I have no interest to. We don't matter to anyone who cannot see us and this is fine by me. Yes the UNSC Prowler Corps. is under me, it is true HIGHCOM is nothing but a figurative decision-making meeting that occurs every once a month. There is not a good definition anywhere you look because we haven't defined what exactly it is. HIGHCOM is a bane to my existence as anyone to collectively think on operations meeting for what can be discussed through a simple forum topic is waste of time. It has not occurred to me that all staff is required at every given time in all the games we host, but to try to attempt that for one lost officer is beyond what we can logistically do. It's easier to put the topic to rest than debate what should be done to someone who is no longer apart of any solution.

You all will go to the ends of earth to keep a secret which is cool but it’s too obvious to hide this. 

@Morris there is no High command lol, everyone is literally winging it. Everyone you think you know is either a lower rank than you or pending discharge and you only see Shawn because you only know him. Not once have I ever been invited to anything, games aren’t open, the list goes on. Good luck in whatever clan you join, don’t play a game if it’s not to have fun. 

@Gabriella DvørakLike you were saying, this isn’t like most clans but this is why people wonder where highcom or higher ups are. Mainly due to the fact they’re coming from clans where they are extremely present.

Personally I did not know what was going on with you lot but Kilkin explained pretty much everything to me and now I am content. All I’ve ever wanted personally was to be informed from whoever is in charge of me of what’s happening above as it allows me to adjust and adapt. I know you said you do not have a profound affect on us but when people see officers resigning or getting discharged it does have a negative affect. 

This also goes for when you are all being present and doing stuff wether it’s posting on the website or doing an event. Small things that to you may not seem a lot but to my members they do. 

Secondly he started HR to help people and make sure there were neutral mediators to drama on the enlisted level. It worked and I am happy with the short term outcome and hope it continues. He didn’t do it, to make the clan “more progressive”. He did it to make sure no one was miss represented. 

Lastly stop whining about missing Elias. That man is gone. He left and does not care for the clan anymore. If he was such an expert why didn’t we do more to try and keep him here? If you think he done things right you could teach this to lower ranked members so when they do become officers they understand what is needed of them and how to operate to your expectations. Not this act now and be criticised by all later method. 

4 hours ago, Gabriella Dvørak said:

With all due respect. Writing a novel of what I did wrong is not going to defend my point. You were never present, Officer Candidate School was a joke and we were just handed our commissioned rank and don’t try and say that’s a falsified accusation as you yourself admitted to failing at OCS and then mentioned resigning after it. HR might’ve failed in the past but HR made more of an impact on the lower enlisted in a few weeks than any of you website admins have in months. I understand you have lives too which baffles me that you come after me about leaving when most of you do the exact same thing I do. 

- Never get on Halo or play with any ships.

- Only do website work (I’d add Discord but half of you have alt accounts you never sign into on the server)

- Rarely appear.

I followed this exact same philosophy of leadership when I came back from retirement and you know what happened? I faded out of existence, creating HR was when the majority of the Razor found out I was a real person so you could imagine how they feel about the VADM and ADM Discord accounts with default profile pictures popping up in months. For someone who spent so much time in the past admitting to screwing up it disappoints me you jump onto such an offensive side all of a sudden. I’ve already admitted to my failures within this clan, looks like Osman has too. I know you won’t respond to that though as it’s the majority of “active” officers versus me. You know how I can tell you’re irrelevant? You miss Elias. Did you even know who Elias was? Maybe an officer you had a chat with a few times a month?  The man had a mental breakdown over losing a Discord mod role, flammed and name dropped all of you on the old Enjin site then left. If you have to use Elias as your best “You should’ve been like this Morris” then you clearly need to get some new officers before your defense falls through the thin ice you call examples. 

4 hours ago, Anna Richards said:

You all will go to the ends of earth to keep a secret which is cool but it’s too obvious to hide this. 

@Morris there is no High command lol, everyone is literally winging it. Everyone you think you know is either a lower rank than you or pending discharge and you only see Shawn because you only know him. Not once have I ever been invited to anything, games aren’t open, the list goes on. Good luck in whatever clan you join, don’t play a game if it’s not to have fun. 

Thank you Richards, I wish you the best of luck here as well and with your career within the FBI. 

I have been on off this clan for about 3-4 years now hitting E5 every time i have been here. This is like my 3rd or 4th time now. I was on the Meriwether Lewis under Corey/Kylo/Elias for most of my time here and a little on the Say my Name under XboxinsiderOne. Now my time is being on the Razor I've probably been the most laid back guy in a point of leadership that still gets his job done. The 34th flopped because retention just went down to Jason, Cav and I and we tried recruiting for about 2 months and called it and went inactive.

The only new officers I've seen attempted or make it was Morris, Jason, Ultimate, and Tsar and only 2 made it through. Now currently none of them are in the clan or hold the rank. That was the only time I saw OCS up and running. The only officers I've seen be them selves in a non officer setting is Tsar, Morris, Harry, Shawn, Gregor ,Frozen waffles one time watching star wars in the ONI server. and Osman this one time when she posted a meme in the memes channel where it was a kid swallowing a frying pan. There has been plenty of opportunities in the General Chats, Voice calls, website off topics posts and other places to let everyone's personalities come out.  I've heard of everyone but seen them until recently on the site. Richards got terrible first impression to me because of her position in charge of the ODSTs and how she handled with Sech because of what was said about her. Kilkin came off as a reasonable person when brought up in conversation and i don't remember hearing to much about anyone else unless it was a one off thing. I understand Officers want to hold professionalism and a  sense of somewhat role play  but what I've learned and gotten feedback for on the Razor you have to balance when it comes to leadership you need the professionalism which would be Harry on the Razor and the laid back personality which is Me.  it keeps a balance so people know its just clan at the end of the clan, its a side thing and if you miss a few things its ok. We try to work with people who try to cooperate with us

Morris made the HR branch for more so people within the LGBTQ+ community had a safe place to talk to someone if they are getting harassed or hazed. Whatever the case may be. It could of just been the timing of it all but the Razor had a spike in Female gamers, gays and trans comfortable enough to openly tells the ship when Morris opened HR and we were very welcoming to it. He also did it because he could not be active in game but he can still message on discord and the site. He is married and works mostly at night job as a 911 operator. He is currently not the best right now in the terms of mental heath.  Tsar can also confirm this.

who cares if the Razor is under Highcom? we still have to work with each other. unless something is happening behind the scenes no other ship is publicly active but the Razor. Every officers position still matters to keep everything working. Why do you think they were trying to clean out the officer positions. If the higher ups don't do anything the clan can only progress so far without them because of how everything works.  Harry still has to go up the chain to get stuff approved. For example, if Harry wants to do ODSTs outside of the Razor and keep them separate from the Razor that would be Richards thing. I just don't know how all the officers fit to make more comparison.

Rank and title don't mean much if you don't have the respect and trust from your peers. Crystal was a good example of this her title was was Fireteam Leader but only E0 but since her team and higher ranks respected her it worked out. I am an E5 holding the title second in command of the Razor. yes, I have a higher rank then majority of the ship and a big title but it means nothing if the people on the ship don't respect me enough for it to work. That is one of the reason POA2 failed. Jason had little to no  respect from his crew and peers. There is a section of memes dedicated to Jason leading the ship by multiple people in the memes channel in Feb 2019.  All the higher ups need to respect each other and if someone asked to be let into the loop of information regardless of what it is you should just include them. They are trying to be active and wanna contribute or follow along what's going on. I would assume each higher up has some Chief title of something. Its not going to kill you to just include them.  If anything it would probably benefit you more if you do so they are happy they are being included. No one likes being left out if they have the same type of authority.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.