ONI

Recruiting Process (SIGNING UP TO WEBSITE CONCEPT)

I’m typing these here as I cannot access a single topic in PersCom to type this or any other Com-based topics. Please move to where appropriate as I cannot access anything. I highly recommend whoever is reading this right now to read through this as this took a large abundance of time to construct a new system. Thank you. 

With the new era of Semper Vigilans approaching in attempts to restore the organization back to its previous state of bustling with activity and high member counts, the idea of changing some of the traditional methods within the clan is not something that should be shut down or pushed away immediately. The recruiting process is the biggest factor in the clan right now, the website is a fundemental piece of equipment for the ONI to progress and operate more efficiently than most Discord based clans. Unfortunately overtime the concept of having to join a website upon recruitment as dwindled to almost nothing. Typically on a good day of recruiting an average 2/10 players will agree to signing up for a website in the same day of being recruited take into account these two of ten players could also leave the clan the next day due to a lack of activity caused by the same recruiting system. The website sign up upon recruitment worked in the past but with time the community has changed as well. With so many large clans even including NavCOM which still use Enjin, not requiring a website sign up upon joining, our method has become obsolete and is shadowed by other clans which don’t require such an unorthodox way of joining a clan. Here are some potential solutions which will allow the website to still exist and also not require players to join the website immediately after joining the ONI (Emphasis on immediately as they will have to join later in the future which I will discuss.) 

Alternative method in-depth: 

Upon joining the recruitment server the player will be told they are required to wear a uniform, join the Discord server and unit-specific Spartan Company. The website will be mentioned when discussing how this clan operates but the player will be informed they don’t have to join the website until the rank of E-3.

Why E-3? The third Enlisted rank is typically the first stepping stone into becoming an NCO, while most leadership requirements begin to appear at E-4, getting the service member to join at E-3 is a good time, allowing the service member to learn the methods of the website one rank before having to actually handle responsibilities. Obviously if a service member wishes to join before E-3 they can but it should not be mandatory until E-3. This allows the player to feel comfortable in the clan and less suspicious about having to sign up on a website. 

With this come some questions, I’ve written arguments I assume will appear and countered them to how the process can work. 

Argument: “How will players join time be documented?” 

Answer: While players joining a website is a good method of tracking their official join time there are other options. An easy alternative is to screenshot when the player joins the Discord server, this time can then be written down on a roster with the proof attached beside it. Since Discord is mandatory immediately like the website, this alternative isn’t much of a jump from the previous method. If there’s no screenshot for their join time then that would be at the fault of the recruiter, this would also offer a new responsibility to recruiters to actually keep track of who they recruit and provide the screenshot to their platoon commander to add to the roster. 

Argument: “The website is used as a roster, how will people keep track of those joining?”

Answer: Typically people joining the clubs is the method of keeping track of players within the unit. Instead, since each club can have their own individual forums, the platoon commanders can use a forum that will list all players in the unit. When someone joins the platoon commander can easily edit the forum with Club Moderator and write down the players name and include their Discord screenshot time stamp of recruitment. This is an easy alternative and in some ways more effective. Instead of having to wait for the member to request to join the club which could be delayed they can instantly be recorded on the roster by a platoon commander. 

Argument: “How will members learn about the website if they’re not on it?” 

Answer: An idea proposed by Corporal B1ue Team Sucks is to record step by step videos on mobile and PC of how to write reports and tours of the website. This can be provided by each platoon commander or ship Captain to their service members to shows them how the website works and to trust it before joining. This would allow people to see that the website is professional and safe without having to actually join it. Here is an example done by Blue on the mobile version. 

These news methods would allow Semper Vigilans to expand easily. It’s time for an adjustment to the way the ONI operates to expand to the new clan community and make our presence more welcoming for random players to join. A test run in a few lobbies a day ago involved recruiting and telling one half that they needed to join the website and not mentioning it to the other half (They were informed later on though.)

Group #1 (Told about website): 1/4 were interested in joining.

Group #2: (Not told about the website): 3/5 were interested in joining. 

It’s clearly obvious people prefer to join without having to sign up onto a website. This new method of not making it mandatory for the first three ranks allows individuals to join without any sign ups aside from the Spartan company and Discord. While some might not like these new ideals I strongly believe it would be worth a trial testing phase to see how many members can be recruited compared to our current system. I will not try installing this system into the routine of service members unless approved by High Command but I strongly recommend at least a two week trial phase to see if this works. 

2nd Lieutenant The Mr Morris (Alexander Morris)
Commanding Officer within the UNSC Army 34th Infantry Brigade
UNSC Army, UNSC 34th Infantry Brigade//

I guess pasted text turns black? I tried to paste it from multiple sources and all of them came out black with no text color changing option.

Here is a link to the video I mentioned that Blue made, the link didn’t go through. Blue’s Video

With the new era of Semper Vigilans approaching in attempts to restore the organization back to its previous state of bustling with activity and high member counts, the idea of changing some of the traditional methods within the clan is not something that should be shut down or pushed away immediately. The recruiting process is the biggest factor in the clan right now, the website is a fundemental piece of equipment for the ONI to progress and operate more efficiently than most Discord based clans. Unfortunately overtime the concept of having to join a website upon recruitment as dwindled to almost nothing. Typically on a good day of recruiting an average 2/10 players will agree to signing up for a website in the same day of being recruited take into account these two of ten players could also leave the clan the next day due to a lack of activity caused by the same recruiting system. The website sign up upon recruitment worked in the past but with time the community has changed as well. With so many large clans even including NavCOM which still use Enjin, not requiring a website sign up upon joining, our method has become obsolete and is shadowed by other clans which don’t require such an unorthodox way of joining a clan. Here are some potential solutions which will allow the website to still exist and also not require players to join the website immediately after joining the ONI (Emphasis on immediately as they will have to join later in the future which I will discuss.) 

Alternative method in-depth: 

Upon joining the recruitment server the player will be told they are required to wear a uniform, join the Discord server and unit-specific Spartan Company. The website will be mentioned when discussing how this clan operates but the player will be informed they don’t have to join the website until the rank of E-3.

Why E-3? The third Enlisted rank is typically the first stepping stone into becoming an NCO, while most leadership requirements begin to appear at E-4, getting the service member to join at E-3 is a good time, allowing the service member to learn the methods of the website one rank before having to actually handle responsibilities. Obviously if a service member wishes to join before E-3 they can but it should not be mandatory until E-3. This allows the player to feel comfortable in the clan and less suspicious about having to sign up on a website. 

With this come some questions, I’ve written arguments I assume will appear and countered them to how the process can work. 

Argument: “How will players join time be documented?” 

Answer: While players joining a website is a good method of tracking their official join time there are other options. An easy alternative is to screenshot when the player joins the Discord server, this time can then be written down on a roster with the proof attached beside it. Since Discord is mandatory immediately like the website, this alternative isn’t much of a jump from the previous method. If there’s no screenshot for their join time then that would be at the fault of the recruiter, this would also offer a new responsibility to recruiters to actually keep track of who they recruit and provide the screenshot to their platoon commander to add to the roster. 

Argument: “The website is used as a roster, how will people keep track of those joining?”

Answer: Typically people joining the clubs is the method of keeping track of players within the unit. Instead, since each club can have their own individual forums, the platoon commanders can use a forum that will list all players in the unit. When someone joins the platoon commander can easily edit the forum with Club Moderator and write down the players name and include their Discord screenshot time stamp of recruitment. This is an easy alternative and in some ways more effective. Instead of having to wait for the member to request to join the club which could be delayed they can instantly be recorded on the roster by a platoon commander. 

Answer: An idea proposed by Corporal B1ue Team Sucks is to record step by step videos on mobile and PC of how to write reports and tours of the website. This can be provided by each platoon commander or ship Captain to their service members to shows them how the website works and to trust it before joining. This would allow people to see that the website is professional and safe without having to actually join it. Here is an example done by Blue on the mobile version. 

These news methods would allow Semper Vigilans to expand easily. It’s time for an adjustment to the way the ONI operates to expand to the new clan community and make our presence more welcoming for random players to join. A test run in a few lobbies a day ago involved recruiting and telling one half that they needed to join the website and not mentioning it to the other half (They were informed later on though.)

Group #1 (Told about website): 1/4 were interested in joining.

Group #2: (Not told about the website): 3/5 were interested in joining. 

It’s clearly obvious people prefer to join without having to sign up onto a website. This new method of not making it mandatory for the first three ranks allows individuals to join without any sign ups aside from the Spartan company and Discord. While some might not like these new ideals I strongly believe it would be worth a trial testing phase to see how many members can be recruited compared to our current system. I will not try installing this system into the routine of service members unless approved by High Command but I strongly recommend at least a two week trial phase to see if this works. 

11 hours ago, B1ue Team Sucks said:

here @Mr Morris I recolored it for you

Thanks, recoloring text isn’t an option on mobile from what it seems.

55 minutes ago, ADM S Osman said:

I will move your thread to PERSCOM forums. 

Thank you, sorry I had to drop it here I didn’t know where else would be suitable though a direct message to you or Shawn would’ve been a better route. 

On 11/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, ADM S Osman said:

I will move your thread to PERSCOM forums. 

Administrator group was moved out of Staff/Moderators that is how we weren't able to move it. Fixed that and moved this topic to High Command as it relates to current objectives and conversations.

Well now that we have accomplished that. I am reading this as a proposition to change the requirements of E1-E3 for all branches to not require use of the website? 

Using Discord to calculate join date is understandable, screenshots should not be necessary as we should be able to see administratively when people joined. What we do not want to do is add mundane work. From user perspective I completely understand that the website may be a chore to sign up even when we removed an entire registration form as previously required. We intend to add Discord sign up options to the website again along with possibilities of signing up with other social media accounts Twitter, Microsoft (and Xbox wishfully in development) to create an easier process flow. I do not see any rosters however I know that each club will have their own roster within the club as a page. That page should detail everything it needs to - unfortunately our previous technologies cannot be used but research continues on having off website rosters that publish, refresh and display on the website as our previous website had. 

I have a problem with this. We have been criticized for both having too much information on Discord and having too little information on Discord. We will most likely continue to be criticized for this but the answer to this is not detailed enough for me to agree on, agreeing on anything here in this particular topic wether it be filming the website creating tutorials or anything else to me is not going to be a permanent fix. 

Filming the website will not work because we are working on changing the website still and its designs. Only recently did we add sub-forums to the menu, this is something that is subject to change. Many design elements are always changing and that is why we have not made any sort of tutorial. As we get more capital to hire a designer to complete most our wishlist developmental tropes I do not think a tutorial is needed as how we do things is a little more fluid. 

Members learning about the website should be a priority. Joining it I am very concerned with, I as with anyone understand that this is not a community for everyone. The recruiting methods traditionally used with other clans may not work here. This is not the typical clan to swell in numbers as you see all around you, its Intelligence in practice with community in second. Maintaining this community does not mean mass recruiting and appealing to the nature of social lobbies on Halo 5: Guardians. If people are not comfortable with signing up to the website I do believe it can be in just how you and others are recruiting and carrying yourselves as peers. People who message me to join ONI will immediately sign up when I send them the link to the website. It's almost unheard of in the past 2-3 years of people outright objecting but it is a known area of contention with other clans. It's important to realize that we are not competing with anyone else for the same audience. We are only looking for capable, smart and veteran Halo community members. 

With all this said, I have discussed extensively with staff and we really want to know just how are you recruiting and how is the UNSC Razor recruiting in general. 

• Where are your recruits coming from? 
  • How old are they? 
  • Which Halo do they play? 
  • Is the accounts gamerscore questioned? 
  • Is the accounts skill taken into consideration? 
  • How are recruits approached? 

The bustling ONI you knew before was because it was largely unmanaged and not dedicated to our intelligence efforts. The UNSC Navy maintain the UNSC Home Fleet outside of my influence or care, along with the UNSC Marine Corps. and other units. I only aided in the set up and organizational aspect from the administrative duties that a Director would follow. However at this point in time we have moved all units from that traffic into the UNSC Prowler Corps. or ONI Signal Corps. both of which I directly oversee as I would all of ONI. We did this because I want a more ONI-centric ONI around ONI units and ONI operations instead of the grand scale of the UNSC from UNSC Infinity to UNSC Iroquois, while we still maintain the UNSC Pillar of Autumn from that era (which has not conformed to the same standards) I do not like the idea of members joining without extra effort in viewing the site, learning about the community and contributing to the conversation. 

I do not mind postponing signing up to the site until we add easier sign up functions or using the discord join date instead of the website's sign up date (as we will most likely use Discord forever) however I will be paying close attention to those that do join the website from those that do not as this is our effort at intelligence that is simply unparalleled to the many Discord servers we could create. 

My expectations with the UNSC Army was different as the Army and its promotion system complemented mass recruiting. For some reason I was discussing this specifically with @Shawn4Japan I recall announcing that we did not need people to sign up to the website at all, an decision I am still wavering back and forth in between for the reasons above. I think its funny that this is funny to mention now than earlier, but I believe their is a post on this website that denotes that along with certain criteria/prerequisites being skippable simply because we do not have a method to track it accurately (Attending Events and so on) fortunately Halo 5: Guardians has game histories that can be looked at proving activity however Halo: The Master Chief Collection does not. 

• Shawn4Japan changed the title to Recruiting Process (SIGNING UP TO WEBSITE CONCEPT)

I simplified the title of this and want to just add that signing up to the site is not a big deal to me, the people that do go above and beyond always will. It should be a requirement because of the wealth of knowledge there is here. If people aren't interested in learning why are they being recruited. If people decide not to join I don't know if that's better than the people that do sign up on the site, logging in once and than never coming back online.

Whatever decision comes from this discussion the look into the recruiting process is definitely important. I don't recruit the same ways you do or other do right now. I invite people selectively or those that reach out off recruitment posts often times playing a couple of games with whoever I recruited. I never come off as authoritarian demanding these things need to be done or dire that if you don't sign up your career does not start. While we are a role playing community its not necessary to role play that aspect of being a military recruiter. I made a thread for what I think is a more pressing subject that might even offer a solution to this one.

The solution being a return to the 2/3 prerequisite promotion system where members only have to complete whichever 2 of 3 requirements to be promoted.

4 minutes ago, Shawn4Japan said:

I simplified the title of this and want to just add that signing up to the site is not a big deal to me, the people that do go above and beyond always will. It should be a requirement because of the wealth of knowledge there is here. If people aren't interested in learning why are they being recruited. If people decide not to join I don't know if that's better than the people that do sign up on the site, logging in once and than never coming back online.

Whatever decision comes from this discussion the look into the recruiting process is definitely important. I don't recruit the same ways you do or other do right now. I invite people selectively or those that reach out off recruitment posts often times playing a couple of games with whoever I recruited. I never come off as authoritarian demanding these things need to be done or dire that if you don't sign up your career does not start. While we are a role playing community its not necessary to role play that aspect of being a military recruiter. I made a thread for what I think is a more pressing subject that might even offer a solution to this one.

The solution being a return to the 2/3 prerequisite promotion system where members only have to complete whichever 2 of 3 requirements to be promoted.

That is the conversation I really wanted to follow having read both of your responses in the Discord chat. 

I personally do not think that the 2/3 prerequisites would help the signing up issue some people have a problem with doing. We record the date of which people join the site traditionally. While Discord is great to also calculate that by searching the user in #reception or from server settings it would simply give a handicap to lazy people to be promoted vs. improving user experience in signing up.